Our neighborhood is situated on a hill, so we get the pleasantness of having a huge house peering into our backyard. Even if a fence were up, the house is high enough that our neighbors would see right into our backyard. So, after years off feeling a lack of privacy when hanging out on our porch, I finally came up with an idea! A cute little privacy screen that resembles the look of a pergola.
Time: 1 DaysCost: $100Difficulty: Easy
I didn't want to make this permanent since we'll hopefully be building a pergola in the next year or two. So, for now, I just dug a hole by my patio about 13" deep (calling the gas/power company to make sure there were no lines) and placed the 4x4 in it. I used a level to make sure it was straight. Adding rocks/shims to get it level.
For the curtain rod, I found that using a rod that secured directly into the wood was the best option for high wind situations.
When the curtains are closed, and it's windy, I needed a way for them to stay put. So, I placed grommets on the corners and secured them to the ground with a little "U" pin.
I wish I had done this years ago! The look is perfect for the space, and the privacy is just wonderful.
Suggested materials for this project:
Have a question about this project?Ask a Question
24 Questions on This Project
- This is all nice and appealing. Just curious, do you leave the furnitures out during wet weather?
- You stated that you used a rod that attached directly to the wood. Did you slip the curtains on the rod first before screwing it in ? I guess what I'm really asking is how can you change the curtains if the rod is attached ? Or do you just not.
- I LOVE YOUR PROJECT !!! CAN YOU TELL BE WHAT SIZE DROP CLOTHS YOU USED AND DID YOU USE A SEWING MACHINE TO MAKE THE POCKET FOR THE RODS ?
- This is exactly what I need too! If you used drop cloth did you have to sew it so rods slid in? Maybe somebody could provide a substitute suggestion since I cant do that?
- How do the drop cloths fare in heavy rain? Do they look bad afterwards, or dry nicely?
- How many 4x4's did you use for the privacy screen & how did you secure the curtain rods directly into the 4x4's? Also I notice you have lights on top of each 4x4...are they solar lights & how were they secured to the top of 4x4a?
- Where did you find the rods and how big/long are they? I need some for my outdoor space. Thank you!
- Can you do these horizontally? We have a screened in lanai and use outside shades. These would so much nicer. Thanks
- Did you sew a pocket for the drop cloth and then slide on to the pipe?If you did this then you'd have to take the rods apart every year depending on where you live for the winter months..
- My concern is when you get strong winds, do the curtains come loose? They would knock over everything on your table etc. We have a pretty substantial artificial tree in a pot on our porch and even it gets knocked over from the wind.
- PLEASE PLEASE tell ! Where did you purchase your outdoor rug from ?? I have been looking for one with that exact same pattern !! ?? THANKS so much !! I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE, your Project !!! Just the idea I needed for my privacy problem too !! THANKS so much for posting !! Karen
- how tall are the posts? 4x4x? And, what's your umbrella stand made of, from where?
- My daughter and son in law did a project very similar to this on their deck. However within a few days the drop cloths became mildewed. Did you use any sort of anti-mildew treatment ?