DIY Outdoor Privacy Screen

$100
1 Day

Our neighborhood is situated on a hill, so we get the pleasantness of having a huge house peering into our backyard. Even if a fence were up, the house is high enough that our neighbors would see right into our backyard. So, after years off feeling a lack of privacy when hanging out on our porch, I finally came up with an idea! A cute little privacy screen that resembles the look of a pergola.
diy outdoor privacy screen pergola, diy, outdoor living, porches
I didn't want to make this permanent since we'll hopefully be building a pergola in the next year or two. So, for now, I just dug a hole by my patio about 13" deep (calling the gas/power company to make sure there were no lines) and placed the 4x4 in it. I used a level to make sure it was straight. Adding rocks/shims to get it level.
For the curtain rod, I found that using a rod that secured directly into the wood was the best option for high wind situations.
For the curtains themselves, I used drop clothes.
When the curtains are closed, and it's windy, I needed a way for them to stay put. So, I placed grommets on the corners and secured them to the ground with a little "U" pin.
I wish I had done this years ago! The look is perfect for the space, and the privacy is just wonderful.
This is was it looks like closed. I'll probably add some cute pattern to it eventually, but for now it does the job! Another plus? I now have something to hang lights from! To see the full tutorial, visit my blog! http://www.thriftyandchic.com/2015/08/diy-privacy-screen-for-100.html
Thrifty and Chic

• Florita Arichea

This is all nice and appealing. Just curious, do you leave the furnitures out during wet weather?

• Faith austin

I did something similar but I used shower curtains and shower hooks It was a lot easier and faster!

• Susan Moye

I used drop cloth and did splatter paint on it. Turned out really cute. Not so plain.

• Donna Ferguson

My drop cloth curtains mildewed so bad I could not get them clean. I tried a second pair which I treated with mildew resistance spray and water resistant spray but neither worked. The second pair also had mildew.

• Kami

I love your rug, where did you get it?

• Kathie S

You stated that you used a rod that attached directly to the wood. Did you slip the curtains on the rod first before screwing it in ? I guess what I'm really asking is how can you change the curtains if the rod is attached ? Or do you just not.

• Billie Rohl

I guess she would have to remove the screws and take the rod down to switch the drop cloths/curtains. Alternately, I'm thinking you could put grommets in the top of the curchins, then attach them to the rods with shower curtain rings. Then just unfastened the rings when you wanted to swap out the curtains.

• Kathy Williamson

Cafe ring clips work great, that's what I use.

• Katrina

I LOVE YOUR PROJECT !!! CAN YOU TELL BE WHAT SIZE DROP CLOTHS YOU USED AND DID YOU USE A SEWING MACHINE TO MAKE THE POCKET FOR THE RODS ?

• Michelle

This is exactly what I need too! If you used drop cloth did you have to sew it so rods slid in? Maybe somebody could provide a substitute suggestion since I cant do that?

• Claire Wichelmann

Walmart sells clip-on cafe rings. I used them for the curtains and 1" PVC pipe for the rods on my deck re-do.

• Vanessa

Use a grommet kit and thread the rod through the grommet holes.

• Ear11903024

Or use plastic 3 inch cafe curtain rings that snap through the grommets.

• Kathy Williamson

I screwed hooks into the wood and use cafe clip rings. The big ones have a strong grip. I use twin xl white sheets, just the right weight and no sewing.

• Rita.gindi

How do the drop cloths fare in heavy rain? Do they look bad afterwards, or dry nicely?

• Shirley Lawson-Eaton

I live in Florida and ,ine mildewed. I'm thinking about trying shower curtains if I can find enough alike.

• Lbp2445159

Mine mildewed too.

• CK Satterfield

Try Amazon for shower curtains. Try spraying with Lysol to help with mildew.

• Leeskid2

My drop cloths molded quickly. I purchased 6 shower curtains and they haven't molded.

• Stephanie Buxton

I would think drop cloths would work well and not mildew if you treated the fabric with an outdoor fabric spray like camp dry or Scotchgard. It rains a lot here in Oregon and that works for us.

• Jenissa Lillard

I used drop clothes as well, even using ScotchGuard to protect them they still mildewed.

• Jym Allen Hitt

Start hitting your Goodwill and other ReSale stores NOW and by summer you should have enuf matching shower curtains!

• Carla M

I put scotch guard on mine so lets see if that works!

• Barb Smith

Try spraying Wet and Forget outdoor use/fabric. This should clear the mildew.

• Barbara

Try spraying them with a waterproofing spray

• Brenda

, what if you have a bad storm what do you do then

• Shawna Bailey

Put the curtains away I you know it coming?

• Debbie Nance

They wouldn't need to be taken down in bad weather. Just tied to the posts wld be enough. Important to remember, though, is to spread them open to dry when the storm passes to let them dry. If not, they can, and probably will, get mold spots.

• Jennifer

Use a fabric spray that will help waterproof the fabric that you choose, I've used regular curtains outdoors as well as shower curtains ( fabric ones)
      I'm located in Western NY where we get a fair share of rainy summer weather just an FYI.

, Fabric spray
    • Hel6645655

I like the look!

• Patrisha Williams

How many 4x4's did you use for the privacy screen & how did you secure the curtain rods directly into the 4x4's? Also I notice you have lights on top of each 4x4...are they solar lights & how were they secured to the top of 4x4a?

• Shawna Bailey

They look like solar lights

• Cindyanne

Home Depot sells solar post cap lights and they don't require screws just pop right on top. Mine have been up for 5 years and going strong - stay out year round.

• Aimee Rountree

Where did you find the rods and how big/long are they? I need some for my outdoor space. Thank you!

• Billie Ray Shoe

I haven't made this but I would use the iron plumbing pipes. They would be stronger than any curtain rod you can buy

• Inge Vasalech

The rods look more like the top rods of a chain link fence

• Caseyem11

Plumbing pipes are strong and can be any length.

• Jea5933929

Galvanized pipe works well. You could attach to the wooden posts with flange fittings, as well. Neat and easy!

• Adluv41

I used narrow plumbing pipe, spray painted them bronze, then cut to size

• Lor22307250

We used this idea on our deck. We decided to use the top rods of a chain link fence. We had to use a connector in the middle, and attach it to the deck, because of the length we needed. I also spray painted them black to go with our theme. It looks great and has held up great too. Love my curtains out of the painter's cloth and even made cushion covers for our chairs out of them.

• Anne

You could also use electrical conduit pipe or PVC pipe with rebar inside for stability for the curtain rod.

• Sharyl Caparaso

WHow wide and long are the screen s

• Fran Mikutis

Can you do these horizontally? We have a screened in lanai and use outside shades. These would so much nicer. Thanks

• Ali12444994

I live in a apartment second floor would like more privacy on my deck!

• Liz

Alice, I saw a blog where a woman had a 2nd floor apt. & framed white plastic lattice work. She anchored the frames of lattice work to the deck railing with hose clamps, so they weren't permanent and could be removed. She put these up all around her deck. Good luck!!

• Cynthia Whitney

Depending on the size of the deck, you might be able to use expandable shower curtain rods. You can get holders for them so they don't slip down. I don't remember what those are called but I got them for the bathroom after 20 years of struggling with the rods falling down. (I'm a slow learner, I guess.) Anyhow, then you have the option of what kind of curtains you want. Simple sheers might be enough, allowing you to look out without being so visible to others, and also allowing for airflow. Inexpensive sheets with tiebacks could work. Colorful beach towels would make a different look. You could hang them with clip-on curtain rings, shower curtain rings, hems that slide over the rod. If it's too much distance for a curtain or shower curtain rod, think in terms of a long closet rod. Just be sure you have good tiebacks so the whole thing doesn't go flying off to the neighbors!

• Mary Valleau

hang your laundry outside, everyone will go away no one wants to look at another persons lau dry

• Amanda

Plants too

• Debbie Je

Did you sew a pocket for the drop cloth and then slide on to the pipe?
    If you did this then you'd have to take the rods apart every year depending on where you live for the winter months..

• Rita Hendricks

I don't really understand the privacy curtains with the Privacy Fence in the background ??

• Victoria Healey-Etten

She said their neighborhood has a hill so there is a large house overlooking their yard regardless of the fence. You can see it in one of her photos.

• Joyce

Read why they needed privacy! They live on a hill. Houses above them can see over fence into yard. Privacy curtains are taller

• Mikkigirl

But can't the neighbors still see down into the pagoda? I was expecting it to be covered, or to see a shade sail.

• Tanzy Marie Tucker

I was expecting to see an overhead over that area too.

• Amanda

When they are sitting next to the curtains they will be blocked by the curtains but from where the picture was taken which appears to be many feet away the neighbors could still see that grassy area. The photo was purposely shot at that distance so you could visualize the neighbors windows and how obviously intrusive it would feel because you would feel as though your being watched.

• Karla Mathis Bostic

My concern is when you get strong winds, do the curtains come loose? They would knock over everything on your table etc. We have a pretty substantial artificial tree in a pot on our porch and even it gets knocked over from the wind.

• Susan

they would be tied to posts when not in use, so not a problem during storms.

• Jazzysam

PLEASE PLEASE tell ! Where did you purchase your outdoor rug from ?? I have been looking for one with that exact same pattern !! ?? THANKS so much !! I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE, your Project !!! Just the idea I needed for my privacy problem too !! THANKS so much for posting !! Karen

• Sharon R

Give Wayfair.com or Rugs USA a try. Both have great indoor/outdoor carpets for a decent price.

• Diane

QVC has great affordable outdoor rugs

• Tinalyn

Overstock.com has indoor outdoor rugs that are just beautiful you can actually take them outside and hose them down but use them in the house as well

• Deb

Lowes

• Jazzysam

THANKS Everyone so much for all the help !! Thanks Deb !! I am looking for that pattern in the rug pictured above . I love the arrow pattern !! ;)

• Karenzrust

I ordered rugs from QVC, have them in my kitchen now, but they can be out side too, love them...

• Cheryl Zeis

Not sure of the patterns this year, but try Lowes.

• Bon13511423

I have a patterned outdoor rug and night it at Lowe! Love it!!!

• Bon13511423

I am sorry. I need to read my post before sending it😔. I bought the patterned rug at Lowes

• Rob9243961

what do you use to weight down the curtains so they don't blow in the wind?

• Amanda

She said she put grommets in the bottom corners of the drop cloth and then used an 'U' pin looped it thru the grommet and then secured it by pushing it into the soil in the ground.

• Rob9243961

Thanks Amanda!

• GM Waller

I am in the process of putting up new outdoor curtains....I am adding pvc pipe and a chain through the pipe, in the hem at the bottom to anchor the curtains.....very windy in Texas...haven't got them done.....hope it works... :)

• Clint

How far apart did you place the posts?

• Curtains. I used shower curtains worked great

• Colin Putman

plant a nice Eucalypt tree in front of their windows they grow like wildfire

• Trish Wright

how tall are the posts? 4x4x? And, what's your umbrella stand made of, from where?

• Jerry Bigenho

My daughter and son in law did a project very similar to this on their deck. However within a few days the drop cloths became mildewed. Did you use any sort of anti-mildew treatment ?

• Tina

that was my first thought too Jerry. I had a cute canvas sign hanging outdoors and it too became moldy

• Paula Fick

I would use shower curtains

• Deb

I think waterproofing (ex: Scotchguard spray) will prevent mildewing.

• Sue13013252

I used sheets and have had no problems

• Che13512545

Did you attach it to your house? Why or why not?

• Claudette

What about shower curtains?

• Nancy J.

I've used shower curtains and outside they seem to mold quite quickly. I'm not sure why. Maybe something in the atmospher?

• Betty

Why’s not use a white fabric shower curtain

• Lbn8456836

Shower curtains typically are only 70in long...

• Michelle

Depending on the climate a shower curtain would dry out and become brittle and break

• Drop cloths are heavier than a showe curtain and won’t blow around And they are only temporary as stated in the beginning of the article.

• Heje

I am inspired and will definitely use your idea to create my own privacy screen with lights. Thank you!

• Di Francis

i love this project. i am a renter and am trying to think of ways to adapt my small (very small) space outside my unit to a similar style. unfortunately, the landlord does not own the units on that side of us (and it shows). i truly need some type of privacy from the view/space/eyes.