Meredith Wouters
Meredith Wouters
  • Albuquerque, NM

Master Suite Makeover, and Guest Bath Too!

Does your bathroom or bedroom need an update? Check out this makeover for inspiration. We took a dated master bedroom with a small en-suite bath, and a dark guest bath, and turned them all into bright and functional spa-like retreats.
master suite makeover and guest bath too, bathroom ideas, bedroom ideas, small bathroom ideas
In spite of a natural light from a good-sized window, the master bath started out small, dark, and cramped, with no tub. We wanted to open it up, both visually and functionally.
FIrst, we moved the wall 18 inches into the bedroom, to make room for a full size tub and shower, and a storage cabinet.
Then we chose gorgeous wood-look porcelain tile for the floor, and open furniture-style cabinets for the vanity. See the scale discretely hidden under the left side, not taking up any floor space?
We added some gorgeous finishes: quartz counter tops and marble mosaic tile all the way up the wall.
To tie it all together, we carried a strip of the marble mosaic tile into the shower as an accent, along with oversize white subway tiles. New white and gray linens from Target complete the spa feeling.
The master bedroom needed some streamlined furniture and better storage, to make up for losing 18 inches to the bathroom.
We got rid of the mission style furniture and opted instead for a modern, classic white look, with touches of turquoise accents.
By lightening up the carpet, bedding and wall color, we tied the bedroom in with the relaxing feel of the en-suite bath.
Finally we turned our attention to the guest bath, which is also the kids bath. It needed a new look and better storage to accommodate older kids.
The first thing it really needed was natural light. It's an interior room, with no windows, so we put in a skylight which now brings in floods of natural light during the day. We also chose a new vanity with center tower, to give the kids more closed storage.
We replaced the square tiles with oversized linen looking tiles in a natural blend that ties in nicely with the grays of the walls and shower tiles.
Gray subway tiles with a glass mosaic inset complete the spa feel. With gray towels, a white cotton shower curtain, and pops of aqua for color, this room feels all grown up now.

Meredith Wouters

• Tie17675778

How much does the master bathroom remodel cost? Or if you can't break it down the total renovation cost? Thank you
    • Meredith Wouters

I'm sorry, I don't know the actual numbers, but I think we budgeted 10k for both bathrooms, and that included moving a wall.
  • Vad2336193

Every space looks Beautiful! Do you remember where you purchased the tub in the kids bathroom?

• Teresa

Those tiles seem to be much bigger than 4 x8. I am having the dickens of a time finding bigger subway tile. Yes i have found the 4 x 8 and 4 x 16. Neither of them suit my needs. I was hoping you had the inside scoop on something bigger.
    • Meredith Wouters

I'm sorry Teresa, I took a look around and haven't been able to find any either. If I do, I'll be sure to get back to you...

• Andray Frederick

Beautifully Done