Upcycled Filing Cabinet

Got hold of an old 2 drawer filing cabinet (for this to work the cabinet has to have a base).
I took out the drawers, attached an inexpensive rubber doormat to front (was the side of the filing cabinet). I used a "no more nails" type of adhesive that is suitable for outdoor use. With this cabinet I didn't need to add drainage holes as there were already some hole sin the back of it.
The beginning stages.
I spray painted it all in a primer/paint all in one spray. This is an off white colour but anything could be used.
Filled with soil, planted some plants! Love it!

• Keller

Was the paint you used water resistant? I'm afraid the filing cabinet would rust. Other than that, I'm very impressed with how creative you are and this planter looks great.

• Jenny Ogg

@Keller I used a paint that included a primer - plenty opportunity for rust in the Scottish weather and no rust has appeared

• Nancy Wright

I'm confused. If you remove the drawers won't the end then be open?

• Bwarner50

The front (which was the drawers) becomes the top. The ends and 3 sides remain. You plant the flowers where the drawers used to be. The part where the door mat is now used to be one of the sides.

• Jane Cole

Great idea, but how did you enclose the side (bottom) ?

• Jenny Ogg

The cabinet I used had a base so I didn't have to worry about this

• BxGirl231

Did you use the drawers for other "pots" ?? if not curious what did you do with the drawers? Love the look

• Jenny Ogg

LOL - not yet - still trying to think something up. Gathering dust in the shed right now!

• Grace

Hi Jenny, have you come up with something for the drawers yet. I'm about to have 20 and need ideas. Thanks

• Marla

Did you use any kind of liner or did you put the soil directly into the cabinet? thanks

• Deb

Did you fill it entirely with potting soil?

• Cindy

I suggest using filler of old plastic milk bottle etc. Keeps planters lighter and you don't need as much dirt.

• Marianne Howley

how do you use plastic bottles as a filler?I did that and they all rose thru the dirt up to the top...i did leave the caps on ...are you suppossed to smash the bottles?help ????

• Cch3814539

Cut up pool noodles from the dollar store

• Karen Hand Laidler

Packing peanuts are a great filler and the roots love to grow around them and this will lighten the dirt load.

• Marianne Howley

how do you guys use plastic bottles as a filler in deep flower pots?
    • Dale

I fill my large planters about half full with plastic water bottles. Saves on soil.
    • Dale

• Dale

• Dale

• Dale

• Dale

• Dale

• Sup13999234

I too half fill my planters with empty water bottles with the lid on them, and then add mixed soil & flowers. The roots
      grow down in between the bottles. If need, I drill holes
      in the bottom for drainage.
      Works every time 🤗
      Jeannie
    • Jean Jackson

I sometimes use broken up polystyrene packaging in the bottom of my large pots and boxes. Keeps the pots/boxes lighter to manoeuvre too
    • 11r25968611

I save my empty prescription bottles and use them. They are more sturdy than water bottles when soil is added.

• Beddy Doe

So why did you glue a rubber mat to the front?
    was it just for looks or some other reason?
    • Coa12324535

Looks like it was for a decorative 3-D effect.
    • Debra

looks fabulous to me!
    • Smooches

love it
    • Sandy

It makes it look so much better than just using a sprayed on stencil. Beautiful job.
    • Carey

What a great idea!!! I am going to plan to use this. I have a file that is hard to use because the drawers have no extension rollers. Not worth the effort for a file, so this is a great Idea to make it really pretty and a neat planter!! I think that I will arrange to put wheels on it so that it moves easily. I think that I will have to put an end on mine, but I will figure that one out! Thanks for the idea, Jenny!

• Carla.beier

First of all, it looks beautiful! I absolutely love the “rubber mat” that doesn’t look like a rubber mat. It has a rod iron, very expensive look. Could you please tell me what kind of paint you used, was it latex or something else? Thanks so much
    • Jenny Ogg

Hi Carla thank you for your lovely comments! I used a spray paint suitable for outdoor use with a built in primer... Valspar I think. Hope this help! Jenny
    • Kira

Wrought iron look...lovely!

• Carla.beier

Yes🙂 thanks so much for answering and for sharing your beautiful project

• Heather

You meant “wrought iron” correct?

• Rj125816070

I absolutely LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing! My question is, do you have any creative suggestions for the

frame of the cabinet that is left?

• Linda Pepiton Grindstaff

Love it! What did you do with the drawers?

• Red

Love this. The door mat was brilliant. I could see this as a patio trim for separation of spaces. Great idea.

• Kar5140389

Beautiful and clever. Thanks for the idea.