Kitchen storage

The island in our kitchen is nice, but, from the beginning, I wanted a different color...AND I had way too many cookbooks! The island is 27 inches wide. I asked my husband to build a bookcase the entire length of the island...using 12 inch wide shelving. The height is such that it slips under the islands outside edge. No back was needed because the outside of the island became the back of the bookcase. When (and if) we get around to replacing counter tops and the island surface, the top of island will be a 38 inch wide surface that covers everything. In the meantime, I have the bookcase as well as the extra surface that its top provides.

• Carolyn Bostic

Very nice. You can never have too many bookcases. This is a terrific multi-functional idea.

• Bill

Nice. I like the case for cookbooks. I have an idea that may be possible ( I have not personally tried this ).Have your husband put a back ( a little higher than the top of the height ) and hinge the underside to it. Then have the top so that it can be opened.Tip up and support ((use attached bracket or 2 ))facing the island. Put a couple of pegs on inside of the case to support the top when not being used to hold cookbook up. When up this will look similar to the angle of a podium or music book stand. The book will be tipped so you can read the recipe. If need be take a couple of bag clips ( chip bag ) to keep pages open. This will as they say kills 2 birds with 1 stone. Gives you a little more room on the counter and also holds your book at an angle and open. If you should try this let me know how it works. Good luck. P.S. If you do not want to use the whole top, you can run 1-2 rods across under the top and cut the top of the bookcase ( shelf ) the length that you need for your widest book ( opened ) that will be put on it. That area that you have to lift is the only area that will need hinges.