Modern Barn Doors: Solution for Awkward Spaces

When I mentioned to my friends we were replacing the doors in our master ensuite area with barn doors I got a lot of blank stares. These people have seen our bedroom and I'm sure they were wondering how barn doors fit in with our decor.
I guess when someone hears the term "barn door" they visualize either actual sliding doors on a barn large enough to accommodate tractors or farm animals or, if they are current on their design trends, they think of a rustic door in a farmhouse or loft apartment.
But obviously, what I should have described to them was a modern/transitional interpretation of a sliding door. Doors that provide practical and beautiful solutions to ill-planned or dated home design.
One of the things I've always disliked about our "new" home was the awkward french doors leading into the master closets and bathroom area. Not only did they create a lot of noise, the gap in the middle of the doors when closed, never felt very private.
And to make matters worse, just beyond this clumsy opening are our "his and hers" closets, each with doors that used to swing into the closet space. This arrangement greatly reduced the functionality of the available space. The only way to access the items behind the door was to go in and close the door behind you.
So we needed a solution to gain space and modernize the space. while being more more understated than a rustic bran door. We considered the whole DIY approach to sliding door hardware, but I was adamant that the mechanism be completely quiet.
Click over to my blog for several posts in the series for building the door, installing the hardware and more details.

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Deeply Southern Home

• Jennifer Lorraine
    Jennifer Lorraine

I just completed my barn door, and I love it!! Such a space saver in the bathroom. I had to modify the hardware a bit so the door wouldn't drag against the trim or leave too large of a gap between the door and the wall, but overall, these directions were amazing! Thank you!!
  • Deeply Southern Home
    Deeply Southern Home

I am so thrilled this tutorial was helpful! Your door looks amazing! Great work!