Thrifty and Chic
Thrifty and Chic
  • Salt Lake City, UT

DIY Slipcover for an Ottoman

We scored on this ottoman, buying it for only $30 a few years back. But it has seen better days, even with the weekly cleanings. Every time someone comes over, it's a rush to clean it real quick and hope it dries in time. So, instead, I decided to make a slipcover for it. I can just throw the slipcover onto it whenever I need to.
diy slipcover for an ottoman, home decor, living room ideas, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
Here's the ottoman before the slipcover.
And here it is with the slipcover. I love the look of it, it reminds of the slipcovered furniture from Ikea.
I'm not an upholsterer or a seamstress, but I do know how to sew a straight line; so this was actually pretty easy. All I did was cut out the pieces of fabric I needed and laid them on the ottoman upside down and pinned it. I then took off the 'shell' and hemmed it in place.
For the sides, I only went 12 inches down with the seam and then did an outer seam to create a pleat. I then hemmed the unfinished edges and created a pocket fold to finish it off.
Another great thing is that it gives a punch of white to my otherwise very cream room.
To see the full tutorial, visit my blog!

Thrifty and Chic

• Lori

I really want to do this, it's perfect. I checked out the full instructions and it looks like you have a little ridge around the top square as well as the lower edge ones but I didn't see how to do that. Am I seeing things or is there a ridge seam?