Jeanine
Jeanine
  • Macon, GA
Asked on Feb 12, 2013

Floor Lamp

JeanineJeanette SPeace Painting Co., Inc.
+6

I have a floor torch lamp that has a glass shade, it is a dark amber color and I want to paint it a lighter color. Does anyone know if the glass bowl can be painted?
  • Sure why not? You will however loose some light output on the glass as paint will prevent light from showing through.

• Jeanine

Thank You!

• Agree with Woodbridge, chalk paint would work great. Also, you might consider stripping the paint from the shade first...I accidentally did this when cleaning my dining room fixture...plain soap and hot water may do it, or bleach water, then you can do a "wash" of diluted paint so that you will gain light instead of losing it. Hope this helps! Happy redecorating, or 'editing' as my mom calls it! :)

• Nest Home Improvement

You may want to try repainting a small area first. Just to gauge the results. I think you may have adhesion issues. Trying to get paint to stick to a non-porous, smooth, and warm surface can be a challenge.

• LandlightS

Most glass shades of lamps are manufactured with colored glass...in this case an amber color. I doubt if you will be able to remove the "color" and repaint it. Also consider, that applying a finish to a glass lamp shade at the factory is totally different from applying paint by hand or via a spray paint at home.....the factory "cures" the paint in a high temp oven. The heat from the light bulb may cause the home applied paint to bubble and or peel off. Good luck and happy lighting Gary

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Go to Sherwin Williams and purchase XIM primer. It sticks to glass, tile, laminate, etc. It even comes in a spray can. The most important part is the primer, then you can put almost any spray finish on top. Just clean and rinse it well. Best, Charles

• Jeanine

I'll give it a try thank you! Jeanine

• Jeanette S

Actually, you can buy glass shades. They come in a variety of sizes with different size openings...which are probably be standard. I agree with others that the amber will still be seen. Good luck.

• Jeanine

Thank You!