DIY Vintage Door Headboard

$150

Our recent move was the perfect time to toss our super old mattress and upgrade to a King sized bed (which has been on my wish list for years)! We got a great deal on a foam mattress on Overstock and we even had a bed frame that converts from a Queen to King we were able to use. But I felt like it looked sloppy without a headboard. This is how it looked before...
We didn't want to spend a ton of money and every King sized headboard we found was $400+. So I just kind of sat on the whole idea for a few days and then decided I wanted to turn a door into a headboard. I also wanted reading lamps mounted to the headboard. We measured the bed to know what size door we'd need and then went "door-hunting" locally with a tape measure. Since shopping with 3 kids in antique and "pickers" type stores is less than fun, my husband texted me pictures of the doors he found. I turned down a bunch and then he sent this one and I knew it was the one! Door cost: $60.
After cleaning up the door and adding legs (get full details in the blog post linked at the bottom), we added lights. To do that we converted sconces to plug in lights.
Converting the Sconces to Plug-Ins Lamps
The lamps were trickier than the headboard because lightening tends to be expensive, especially the vintage-style barn lamps. Most of the ones I found were $300..each! It's also hard to find plug-in style scones.
So we ventured over to Lowe's and found these Allen + Roth Barn Light Sconces for just under $35 each! We talked to one of the Lowe's employees about converting it ourselves and learned it was super easy (and inexpensive) to do.
To convert the sconces to plug-in lamps you'll need:
-Wire cutters
-Wire connectors
-Electrical Tape
-Needle-Nose Pliers
-(2) Base Switch Cords (The base switch cords have the on/off button on the cord so you can turn your light off/on without having to plug/un-plug)
-Two vintage style light bulbs (optional)
I just love the lights!
And the door knob plate...
Pop over to the full blog post for a more detailed account of how to create this DIY!

Dawn {Dawn Nicole Designs}

• Gina

So Creative. I love that idea!!!!

• Bert Wall

So my neighbor and I just completed this project for his wife's birthday. I was actually super easy to do. I would recommend a long power cord and mounting a twist power switch. However his wife was really happy with the results.