DIY Chalk & Magnet Board Door

How I Made a Chalk & Magnet Board Door for $45.
I wanted to make this chalkboard/magnet board door for a long time. My criteria was:
20″ wide Max.
Old or new door
add a metal panel for magnets
spend no more than $10 $30 dollars, I had to be realistic.
I went to salvage yard, flea markets and most did not have the 23″ size and the doors they did have were priced at $35 or more. Not this girls price….I kept looking.
One day while at Home Depot the hubster and I were strolling down the aisle and what did I see in the clearance section……a door. Not just any old door but a solid wood door, 18″ wide and the Price.
SEE The tag. Was $98 and now marked at $20……Cha Ching….I was a happy camper and the door was in my cart.
What a great bargain. Thank you craft fairy for helping me out.
I wanted to have a panel that was chalkboard and metal so that I could use chalk and magnets. My hubs found the sheet metal (he would trim it down to fit the panel on the door.)
I first did a little distressing on the door, with a dents and dings here and there. I then painted what flat latex paint. Two coats.
The hubs had trimmed the metal sheet down to the correct size earlier so I just needed to paint the metal.
The sheet metal had sat for several weeks in the garage and over that time had rusted form the humidity in our area. I ran some steel wool over the areas and wiped clean, then sprayed with black chalkboard paint on both sides.
Once dry I glued to the panel in the door.
Next I seasoned the chalk & metal board.
I wanted to add a door knob to the door. I had two porcelain knobs that I picked up years ago. One was just the knob the other had the metal shaft but the one end was broken where the screw goes.
I begged & pleaded asked my hubs if he would go to the local junk/thrift shop and see if they had anything that would make the knobs work and that I wanted a back plate for the knobs if he could find one.
He was nice enough to go (I bribed him with cooking his favorite dinner)…. He came back with the steel shafts to make the knobs work and a vintage lock and screws that were perfect. He is amazing.
I left the lock in its vintage condition….love the character of the lock and it still works.
Here is the finished door. It is standing in my kitchen table area for now, but is something I can use in other parts of the house by just changing the chalkboard message. The new farmhouse will have lots of areas that it will look nice in.
Do you have a chalkboard in your home? How do you use yours?
Don’t forget to pin this to your Pinterest Decor Board for later……..Come on over to my Pinterest and see all the amazing Pins I am Pinning. It is truly a PINNING HEAVEN over there.
Do you know how much I love your comments……I LOVVVVE THEM!!!
Until next time, make it a wonderful day!

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
-bonbon-Farmhouse 40

• Hannah V

This is such a great idea! I've been meaning to make a chalkboard piece in my home and just can't decide- this is a top contender! :)

• -bonbon-Farmhouse 40

Thanks! There are a lot of good ideas out there.