Pat
Pat
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Feb 12, 2013

I have a mature Fox Tail Palm. A black area started on the trunk and is eroding the trunk making a hole in it.

Douglas HuntPat

Does anyone have any idea what it might be and how to treat this?
The palm is otherwise very healthy and putting on new frons.

Pat, can you post a photo? If not, can you describe the condition in more detail? How large is the black area/hole, how far up on the trunk is it, etc.

• Pat

No photo. Started as small black spot and kept enlaging until about 8" in diameter. Has eroded into the trunk about half way through and about 5' up from the ground. No insects noted. Only dark brown debris inside of the hole. Otherwise the palm is healthy with healthy frons and putting on new frons?

Pat, I've looked on a palm disease key and don't see anything that meshes with your description. The best I can suggest is that you take a photo and then send it or take it to your local extension office, or to have a tree expert come out and take a look. If the problem is that large, I'm afraid it doesn't sound very good for your palm, despite its otherwise healthy appearance.