Gary B
Gary B
  • Apopka, FL
Asked on Feb 12, 2013

Zoisia grass

Douglas HuntJeanette S3po3

I am going to give my zoysia lawn a spring "hair cut" and take it from approximately 3" down to around 1-1/2" height.

It is starting to now show some spring growth (we are located in Central Florida).

Should I apply a feeding of weed and feed before or after I cut the grass down low ?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Gary B.
  • 3po3

Hi Gary, You cooperative extension folks suggest your first fertilizer feeding should be in April. In the meantime, you could get a soil test. Here's more info: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh011

• Jeanette S

We were told by our a professional not to cut our grass until it greens because it is not good for it to be cut when there is brown still in it. So that is what we do. And Steve is right...our yard gets fed in April!

Gary, weed and feed products are not a good idea because the two things are at cross purposes. You should be applying a pre-emergent fertilizer now, but it is too early to promote green-up of the grass. When you see weeds present, you should select the right herbicide for the weed-and type of grass-you have.