Karen W
Karen W
  • Murfreesboro, TN

Home Built Koi Pond # 2!

It was only 3 years ago that we lost our beloved Basset Hound and my husband in a weekend built an 800 gallon koi pond in the front yard in her memory with landscape timbers. Well, in 3 years, the koi have had babies (14 to be exact) and the plants exploded and needed repotting. Time for new digs!! Over the past month, my husband planned and constructed what was to be a 2,000 gallon monstrosity in our backyard to house our older, larger koi and the explosion of pond plants (water lily, water iris, purple pickerel rush, and cattail). We've also learned about how to build your own DIY pond filtration system to keep the algae at bay. Pardon the cloudy water. Our stone filtration system used some dusty rock and in a few days this will settle and the water will be clear. We built the back of the pond higher to hide our filtration system and to give me a chance to plant some color around the flagstone water fall feature. I added some solar statues of children with solar fireflies in jars (so cute!) in the plantings for interest. All in all, my husband did a wonderful job! We plan to stain and seal the whole pond next year since we used pressure treated landscape timbers and he plans to add stacked stone under the water feature to protect the wood from the water falling.
home built koi pond 2, diy, landscape, ponds water features
LED colored lights that will go into the water as soon as the "dust" settles! Added the plantings in the planter boxes.
Flagstone water feature
Cattails divided and conquered. LOL 3 pots now made 14!
View from the patio
Right side
Fogger with LED lights for at night
Yellow water lily blooming

• Mary Ann Lau

What is your estimated costfor the entire project. We are not do it your self skilled but have a son that is.
    • Karen W

Well, my husband did all the labor but we estimated the cost at 850.00. We bought the large pond liner from an online pond supplier, the pumps were also bought online because they are better quality and cheaper than any you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. The pressure treated landscape timbers were purchased from Lowes because they were a few cents cheaper than the ones sold at Home Depot. He bought the extra large, long nails for anchoring the timbers from Lowe's as well. They were pretty expensive for nails but we wanted nails that were super long to support the pressure of the water once we filled the pond. Our water bill went up about 50.00 more dollars that month when we filled it with 4,000 gallons of water. We purchased the colored lights online - I think they were $50 for a set of 4. Well worth the money and are still burning strong today. We bought all the aquatic plants from a local pond supplier and they have multiplied 10 fold over the years and provided us with all the plants we could ever want or need. Started out with 3 colors of water lilies, 1 pot of water iris, and 2 pots of Cat tails and Purple Pickerel Rush. Now have over 18 pots of the Rush, 8 pots of water iris, 15 pots of Cat Tails, and 8 pots of water lilies! All are perennial so they keep making more and more each year and have to be divided. It can be an expensive hobby. You do have a drain on your electric bill running the pumps 24/7. The fish have to be fed twice a day during the spring, summer, and fall months and the food can be expensive. But the joy you get from this hobby makes the expense well worth it. Our initial 4 koi have given us hundreds of off-spring of all colors and sizes. If you asked me if I'd do it all over again, I'd give you a big YES!