Backyard Retreat 'Yarden House'
My husband wanted a single large pergola and I wanted a more private place to relax. The trusty scroll saw and jigsaw and a month and half later..here's the result.
The completed retreat with a few small details yet to do. Being enjoyed by the neighborhood children.
The Yarden House Mailbox for tools. Found something similar online and drew out a pattern. I cut it out with the jigsaw and screwed all the pieces together leaving the sides as a planter.
Day one was finding the most level spot in the yard. Then finding where each post would go..6 in all...one at each corner and two for the entry to support the gate. I needed help from my hubby for this step.
Painting the 4x4s prior to setting in the cement saves a lot of time. They will only need a second coat.
Cement is set up and posts are set. A board has to be laid from one post to another as they are being set in the cement in order to level them. Next 2x4s are nailed around the top, and around 3 sides of the sides and front for screwing on the pickets. No nails ever. I had some antique corbels that I placed at the top of the entrance for a Victorian look. The roof is 9" siding lapped over 1" starting front to back.
The same roofing material was placed up the back about 5'. We purchased windows at an antique store to place in the center back. I made 'shelves' for planters to sit on and used pretty brackets for those on either side and for the lanterns on either side of the entry. I sat the lanterns on wood squares and attached a bracket in the front in order to stabilize them when the weather gets active. I made the bracket to turn so they can be removed and brought in for the winter. For the gate, I laid out 2x4s on the ground at the same distance as those holding the pickets and placed pickets in a configuration that I liked...leaving enough space on the sides for the gate to be opened. I used a generic hinge and later made faux hinges with my trusty scroll saw and painted them with 2 coats of black and topped with Helmsmans lacquer.
I cut out a simple scrolling pattern with the jigsaw and attached to the top ..left and right of the entry. I later made a stencil and added some interest with teardrop shapes in green. The batten board shutters were simply 3 1x3 boards placed together with about a 1/3 inch space between with another piece of the same wood across the top and bottom to attach them. Added the faux shutter dogs and hinges made with my scroll saw and a simple diamond stencil in white for interest. I added plastic lattice on either side of the back two windows and placed a simple valance above them in canvas and curtains of the same canvas on the windows.
Needing a handy place for what I call 'yarden' tools, I made a pattern for a 'house' and placed it over a new large mailbox that we found at an antique store. Painted it to match the Yarden House, added some flowers that I already had and mod podged the words on the front. The table was one I had made years ago and it was just catching dust in the garage....so...voila...a place to set the yarden tool house. We planted some beach grass that we had in the garden at the front corners and wisteria that I've kept going now for about 15 years from one year to the next by saving the seed...in the back corners and in 3 yrs. those vines will be over the top.