Wooden Patio Chair Storage

Wooden patio chairs hung on the wall and used as storage and extra place to hang clothes.

• Cindy Yates

Hi. What is used to hang the chairs on the wall? Thanks.

• Judi

I would think screws or screw eye into 2 x 4 in wall...for stability...otherwise it would fall of wall from weight.
  • Karen

How did you attach them to the wall??

• Patti

Do you know how the chairs ate attached to the wall?

• Robin Hodson

Holes in the chairs, on hooks; alternatively, tops of chairs resting on twin hooks. Chair feet are braced against the wall: Just hooks and gravity should be enough.

• Michele Keltner

If I had to guess since it will be holding some weight the probably drilled a hole through the chair with a screw into a stud behind the dry wall.
    • Rogerg13

It would make sense to take a 3" or 4" X 1" board and make it the length of all the chairs tops measured together. Paint it the same color as the wall or the chairs and then place it at the height you want the tops of the chairs to be located. Then screw the board into the studs, use as many as possible. Then you could either place the screws through each chair top or place some type of hooks screwed to the board matching up with each chair top. This should add enough strength to the hanging chairs to do the job.
    • Patti

Thank you all for being so helpful and kind. I have the chairs and the spot on the wall. I think I need another set of hands so just waiting until a friend has time to donate to my project!
  • Lynda DuRain Folkman

How are they fastened to the wall?
  • Sus10812243

how much weight will these chairs hold? What kind of fasteners, are molly nails strong enough??
    • Ursula

I would say that several factors are at play:

1. The seat will hold whatever the chair would have - the weight of a human

2. The rail will hold whatever can fit - if it's a well constructed chair. Any concerns could be eliminated by screwing a long screw into the rail from each end (and finishing with a dab of paint? )

3. The anchor point in the wall will determine a great deal. Screw into a stud with a good expanding anchor and the chair will fail before the wall does. But screw into a plasterboard wall without an anchor? The chair alone will barely hold.

4. A highly rated large hook will hold far more than a small cheap hook will. Maybe a larger twin U-shaped tool hanger would be a good choice as a hanger? The larger twin hooks would also provide 'sideways-swing' protection, allow for the outwards movement of the chair opening and lower the risk of the boxes /bags on the seat falling off if something is unbalanced on the rail - or you've simply knocked it, if it's in too small a space or a thoroughfare.

* So essentially it's weight rating is entirely dependant on you.

* I would just add a caution that the height of the hook needs to allow for the chair PLUS the coat hangers PLUS the clothing, which may potentially be longer-line jackets if this is used in a guest room or mud-room. And then the height that the bags/boxes are being lifted to will possibly be intimidating (is never good back-care policy to lift an item above your shoulder height). Careful selection of the chair design could alleviate this by having the rail higher up than is often seen on folding chairs. Or you may be able to 'raise' the rail on the chair?
      * All that being said - this is an awesome idea and I'm currently figuring out where I'll hang it in our guest-room. I may even paint the chair bright and funky as functional art-work instead of low-profile and discreet.
      Well done to the original ideas person!

• Sus10812243

thanks I see your point about having the shelf portion so far up that it might not be practical for lifting heavy things (and I am 5'2") and maybe not even being able to see what's up there if there has to be room for hanging clothes on the bottom rail! But it's a fab idea and painting the chairs different colors is brilliant- like a giant art piece.
    • Angela Campo-Devine

not if you do the with children's chairs ....shorter a bit smaller but all you need to do is add another chair
  • Maureen

What type of hook did you use to hang the chairs on?

• Carrie Ervin Divine

This is GENIOUS! Believe it or not, we j[st moved into a place where one bedroom doesn't have a closet! This idea is gonna work perfect!

• Shireen Holtak

I like this idea. I always need extra storage space and I have some extra chairs. Thank you.