Asked on Aug 28, 2015

Mixing chalk paint with craft paint or other kind of paint

Rebecca GazzoAlicia Avena LyndeKatie Fossee - Fossee Restorations
+12

I have a container of Americana Decor Chalk Paint in Delicate that I want to paint a hutch with but I want it to be a little more yellow than it is. Can I add some yellow craft paint to the chalk paint to adjust the color or will that ruin the paint?
  • Dee
    Dee

Yes you can add craft paint to change the color. I would not add paint to change the amount ex: quart to gallon.

• Bre @ Average But Inspired
    Bre @ Average But Inspired

Yes, it should be fine! Good luck with the project! :-)

Janet Pizaro

Make sure the paint is the same consisity. Home talk actually has a whole section on chalk paint. Do research before you take yes for an answer.

• Tania
    Tania

I have added a ton of craft paint the1$ ones to Americana Chalk paint to change the colors and I mix them. I wouldn't add a latex paint unless its a flat finish. Good luck

• Nancy
    Nancy

I asked Annie Sloan this question, the paint she suggested, was in the artist section of paints, like at Michaels... the "Golden" brand... it is a lot more expensive then your craft paints, but the bonding of the two paints were more compatible.

• Laurie Brennan
    Laurie Brennan

I have added inexpensive craft paint to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Fusion Mineral Paint with good results

• Damian Mastnick
    Damian Mastnick

Just be sure to only use flat paint. Also, only add latex paint to latex paint and only add oil based paint to oil based paint. If you want to darken the color be sure to add a paint that is much deeper than what you want because it will become very diffused when you add it to a lighter color.

• Sarah Holden
      Sarah Holden

Hi - Do the two paints bond well together? Someone I asked basically said they were incompatible compounds - I have lots of eggshell that I would to make more matt. I am concerned about the longevity of the paint if I mix them. thanks.

• You guys are lifesavers!

• Alicia Avena Lynde
    Alicia Avena Lynde

Can I mix chalk and milk paint together?

• Rebecca Gazzo
    Rebecca Gazzo

Can I use mica powderd to color white chalk paint?