Asked on Aug 28, 2015

Mixing chalk paint with craft paint or other kind of paint

Katie Fossee - Fossee RestorationsDamian MastnickLaurie Brennan
+9

I have a container of Americana Decor Chalk Paint in Delicate that I want to paint a hutch with but I want it to be a little more yellow than it is. Can I add some yellow craft paint to the chalk paint to adjust the color or will that ruin the paint?
  • Dee

Yes you can add craft paint to change the color. I would not add paint to change the amount ex: quart to gallon.

• Bre @ Average But Inspired

Yes, it should be fine! Good luck with the project! :-)

Make sure the paint is the same consisity. Home talk actually has a whole section on chalk paint. Do research before you take yes for an answer.

• Tania

I have added a ton of craft paint the1$ ones to Americana Chalk paint to change the colors and I mix them. I wouldn't add a latex paint unless its a flat finish. Good luck

• Nancy

I asked Annie Sloan this question, the paint she suggested, was in the artist section of paints, like at Michaels... the "Golden" brand... it is a lot more expensive then your craft paints, but the bonding of the two paints were more compatible.

• Laurie Brennan

I have added inexpensive craft paint to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Fusion Mineral Paint with good results

• Damian Mastnick

Just be sure to only use flat paint. Also, only add latex paint to latex paint and only add oil based paint to oil based paint. If you want to darken the color be sure to add a paint that is much deeper than what you want because it will become very diffused when you add it to a lighter color.

• HC

Yes, acrylic and latex is synonymous. You can mix paints with either labeling. The higher the acrylic % the better the paint quality. AND ......You can even use a chalk paint to reduce sheen on a latex/acrylic paint such as satin or semi-gloss. So there are many uses when merging a latex/acrylic paint with a chalk paint. However, a matte or flat finish latex/acrylic paint is best when wanting the chalk paint effect to remain unaltered.

• You guys are lifesavers!