Tv Console to Dog Bed - Take 2

A little over a year ago I took this old vintage TV console and attempted to turn it into a dog bed.
tv console to dog bed take 2, painted furniture, pets animals, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
The finished result, while having good intentions, just lacked inspiration and any sort of beauty. It was ugly.
I've waited a long time for that lacking inspiration to arrive. I've looked at this ugly cabinet for a year. I couldn't just leave it like this. This project is perfect proof that sometimes even the best intentions don't save you from a flop! This weekend I was finally ready to give it another go!
Turns out all I needed was the right inspiration, and some courage to try something new and bold. I found this great fabric at hobby lobby and decided to try out a Chalky finish paint for my first time. This paint color is called "Treasure" which is appropriate!
I hauled the old girl back out onto the tarp outback, took off the hardware and the back and started painting. With the chalky finish paint no prep work was needed (besides some dusting). This is after just 1 coat. It only took two coats and less than one 8 oz pot of the Chalky finish paint.
I updated the old brass hardware with some white spray paint. A great way to update hardware without a big cost.
I recovered the back in a bright new material, way happier than the old dark maroon color I used before when I thought I just wanted to keep the wood natural.
Sewed some simple little curtains to hang from a tension rod with my awesome arrow fabric.
Two coats of paint and a satin varnish sealer later, I could put my hardware back on. What a difference!
I used the same chalky finish paints on the cabinet to make a cute little sign to hang inside.
Some pillows inside, and even a little press LED light on the ceiling. Dobby the poodle approves!
He is very happy and so am I. From ugly and boring, to bright bold and beautiful! I'm so glad I gave this piece a second chance. Sometimes the vision doesn't come right away. In this case it took an entire year! But I'm finally happy with how it turned out.
See more about this transformation, and why I decided to give it another chance at the blog link below!

Kelli @CraftShackChronicles

• Sandra Allen

I wanted to do this out of an old apple computer and this is just as adorable. Your doggie is a lucky pup!

• Nancy J.

I'm new to Hometalk. I actually had already seen your tv console dog bed and was just searching for it. I guess I searched in the wrong spot. What a nice surprise though, to actually get a response from the person who made this amazing piece. You've made me look at dog beds in a whole new way. Thanks so much for responding. 😊