Front Porch Ideas
Front Porch Ideas
  • Hermitage, TN

Why Blue Porch Ceilings?

Have you ever wondered why blue is a traditional color for porch ceilings? Called "Haint Blue," some believe it wards off evil spirits or helps banish mosquitos. Still others believe a light blue porch ceiling reminds them of the sky or believe it has a very calming effect.
See specific haint blue colors, learn its history, and get the opportunity to purchase samples and acquire the specific formula so you too can have the perfect haint blue porch ceiling!
Very light blue ceiling contrasts with butter-yellow siding.
Bright green-blue is an unusual shade that goes with this southern-style home.
The sky-blue ceiling adds another pop of color to an already colorful paint scheme.
Front Porch Ideas

• Liliana Wells

Beautiful pictures! Any particular color blue? Any manufacturer? Any finish: semi-gloss, gloss, flat? I am assuming exterior grade? Thanks

• Linda Pierce

I grew up in west Tennessee, and my Dad was a carpenter. He painted the ceiling of our porches forest green and the floors a medium gray (The house was all white). I have always wondered about the colors...thought maybe it was to give the illusion of sitting under a big shade tree. Does anyone know?

• Front Porch Ideas

Oh wish we knew, Linda. Perhaps he just loved that color combination. I like your idea of the feeling of sitting under a shade tree.

• Beth

Linda, (First of all, my name is Beth Pierce! LOL!)

In the New Orleans area, "Haint Blue" is their way of saying "Haunt" blue, and they believe that at night when the ghouls and vampires and such come to your door, they will look up and see the blue ceiling by the porch light, think is daylight a'comin', and flee back to whence they came! (Apparently, the evil dead are also very stupid! LOL)

Here in the South, we know birds and bees will perceive blue ceilings as sky, and therefore not a solid surface, so will not nest against them. My daddy told me that as he painted our porch ceiling blue 50 years ago in Greenville, SC.!

• Doris Pope

It keeps spiders away from the ceiling I had found so with that in mind we painted our garage light blue, walls and ceilings and have not a problem with them in 2 years.

• Julie Yeary

@Doris Pope I kinda like the spiders as long as they build their web out of the way.

• Kar5036126

Yes, down South it's to keep wasps from building nests under the porches. It's said that they think the blue ceiling is the sky.