DIY Painted Bathtub

$125.00

I just finished painting my bathtub a couple of days ago. I used Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit, and it's still curing (you're not supposed to get water on it for three days), but the paint seems very durable. Of course, it IS paint, so it won't last forever, but I think this is a very good solution if you want a somewhat easy fix for an ugly, outdated tub, and don't quite have the budget for a
This bathtub is 30+ years old, and has seen many renters come and go before we bought our condo.  It was stained, but didn't have any cracks or chips, so I decided to paint rather than replace.
This bathtub is 30+ years old, and has seen many renters come and go before we bought our condo. It was stained, but didn't have any cracks or chips, so I decided to paint rather than replace.
The bathtub with it's new shiny bright white paint.  I couldn't get the two drains off, so I just painted right over them.
The bathtub with it's new shiny bright white paint. I couldn't get the two drains off, so I just painted right over them.
The first coat of paint going on.  You can see how dingy and drab the color of the tub was compared to the bright white paint.
The first coat of paint going on. You can see how dingy and drab the color of the tub was compared to the bright white paint.
Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating

• Charlee Lane

Any updates on how this looks today?

• Diana Deiley

I need to do this in two bathrooms. Having done this, would you do it again? Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Trudy

I did it and would never do it again. It was a waste of time and money and I probably killed many brain cells with the fumes. Two weeks after it was finished curing I dropped a screwdriver on it from two inches away and it left a 6 inch gash. Within a few months it was peeling in many places.

• Theresa Jamula

I had my tub professionally reglazed and I love it. They put a non-skid surface on the bottom.

• Vikki T

I have not found a local contractor who can do this? Did you by chance use a national chain?

• Pal5365359

I understand you can't use suction cup saftey mats on a refinished bathtub. What can you use?

• Trudy

Nothing.

• Linda Hunt

If you only used them during your shower or bath could you not use the plastic liners created for the bottom of kitchen sinks to stop scratching and loud sounds?????

• Carol Fruge

bed bath and beyond has a bath mat i have it and it is fine no suction works great

• Nancy Spencer Carlson

@Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating How did this hold up?

• JustMe

The prior owner painted the tub in my mom's home years ago and now the paint has peeled off of most of the tub bottom. Mom had used suction cup bath mats. She wants me to redo it (I only live 6 hrs away! And, it would have to be done over a weekend). Would it be worth it to try and sand off all the old paint and start over? I'm concerned that the paint might not adhere and concerned that it might be too big a project to complete perfectly in a weekend. Thoughts?

• Lee

I was wondering if a Heat Gun would speed up the paint stripping rather than sanding (that could leave sanding marks)? (This is a question not necessarily a solution ). I have had success using a Heatgun with some of my DIY projects.

• JustMe

Great suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that. It would sure be a lot less work and mess. Thanks!

• Ashley Square

Need to wash it with a acid cleaner.

• Jen O.

I see your tub only had scratches & minor stuff. I am renting a place and the enamel on the tub is coming off in a small area (so the landlord isn't interested in replacing right now). Can I use this kit to paint a tub that has lost some enamel? It's ugly and driving me crazy! Always looks dirty no matter what I do.

• Vanessa

I used this product on my fiberglass shower base. I had scrubbed the protective coating right off of it in a few years time. The result was black marks all over it . Yuck! It was hard work . You must follow the instructs to the letter. And always do 3 light coats. It has been 3 yrs and it is still perfect!

• Diana Deiley

Love the bright white! I can't wait to do my guest bathroom. Thanks for sharing.