Jim H
Jim H
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Feb 13, 2013

Whirlpool Gold dishwasher not completely draining (but does drain when restarted for less than a minute - then canceled)

Cheryl153091Evelyn McMullen
+17

My dishwasher does a great job cleaning my dishes, but never completely drains from the lower pan (I can stick a finger in to still feel a full pan of water). But it I start the dishwasher for less than a minute, and then cancel the wash cycle - it completely drains (I can see it draining in the garbage disposal - so I know it's not a clogged tube running to the sink). I've taken it apart and cleaned all the routes. Just wondering if there's another DIY fix (of if it's just a technical glitch).
Whirlpool Gold control panel
Whirlpool Gold control panel
Water doesn't initially drain from just below "teeth" in lower pan.
  • If I had to guess I would say it is probably a control board or sensor issue, however I did a quick Google search and saw something called a sediment settler causing similiar issues, so that might be worth checking out (diagram should be in you owners manual)

• I would tend to agree with SLS on this as being a control board issue. If your turning it off then on again to get it to drain, the program is hanging up in the electronic board. It also could be a pump on the way out, but I would stick to the control board first.

• Jeanette S

Can you believe we had a service call on this problem (2 in fact) and were told "it keeps water in it to keep the seals from drying out". I HATE my new dishwasher. I called one of the biggest seller of appliances and asked if they had a machine that did not hold water and was told no. I also hate my front loading washing machine because I have to leave the door open because it stinks if you don't. What kind of TRASH appliances are being pushed on us? I use more water because I have reverted to hand washing more stuff so that "energy saving, environmentally using less water" crap they are feeding us is not being swallowed.

• Nancy laverick

I think you have defective appliances.

• Chuck

The problem is NOT the program in the board. Yes, dw's do keep some water left in the sump, but not such that if you do a second drain, much if any water gets pumped out. The issue is a clogged drain. This could be in the pump assembly. or in the line to the gd. Most dw's have a device that has a check ball in it to keeps water from coming back into the dishwasher. This device gets semi plugged with debris. The pump assembly should be pulled to chk for blockages. Not to hard a job for an experienced whirlpool tech, tougher for a novice.

• Jeanette S

Chuck, you may be right, but when a NEW DW is giving trouble, you know it can't be a trash build up problem...and when the service tech tells you "it has to hold water" after the cycle has completed, well???? and too many people are complaining about the new appliances. I think a lot of environmental things are being pushed on us that are not working, such as the solar ideas! Solar is a fantastic concept, but basically it does not work as it is "touted" to work...just doesn't! I have threatened hubby that if he buys another solar light I am going to us it as a club to pound some sense into his brain!

• Sher

I have both situations also. Repairman took apart pump to make sure there was nothing clogging the DW from draining. Now all I do is hit the " cancel" before opening the door to the completed cycle, and the water flushes. Now if I could only figure out what to do about the clothes washer moisture!

• Chuck

He never said how "new" the unit was, and it doesn't take but one dirty load to stop up some of these dw's. His problem could just as easily be in the drain he said he figured out to be clear. Your comments on newer appliances being trash makes me laugh, because I had to deal with these appliances and customers like you. Not fun.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

lol @Jeanette S I know what you mean.

• Christine

The problem may be after the garbage disposal. I had this problem and took everything apart according to a manual I found. Lots of white limescale everywhere. After I cleaned it and put it back together, it still wouldn't drain. Called a plumber and he followed the line to where it connects under the sink. There was a very narrow spot where the dishwasher empties into another pipe, which was clogged with limescale. He poked it with his screwdriver, and after that the dishwasher drained.

• Pamela Sloan

Could be your water. We just replaced 2 water heaters that were full of gunk from hard water. We put a new water filter on our water coming into the house and everything seems to be running better.

• Donald House

We also have a Whirlpool, brand new, and it has the same issue. Washes fine, but leaves a pool of water in the bottom. There is a button - Cancel/Drain - on the panel. If we push it, it drains the water out. Our plumber says all is good with the drain plumbing, so that leaves the control as the culprit. It may be designed to work this way. Nothing to do with environmental politics, just a bad design.

• Sherry Young

Jeanette S You sure seem to be full of piss and vinegar. Things change get use to it. @Chuck I also work in customer service I figure 9 out of 10 customers are always grateful to have the service that you provide. The real bad ones I name Satan's sister/brother.

• Lisadoll

It could be that tiny food particles or pieces of broken glass or dish are stuck in the very tiny food grinder area. "YOUTUBE" your model. I had a similar issue. Found a very clear, step by step, video on YouTube , followed it precisely, and found tiny pieces of fish bone, and chipped dish in the grinder area, blocking the water from completely draining. Good Luck!

• Lisadoll

BTW: I cannot disagree with Jeanette. It seems we are at the mercy of whatever is "in style" at the moment. WHO exactly are these appliance manufacturers asking? Some have ridiculous features, (like not being able to interrupt a load in a washer without it draining, or no water level adjustment) dishwashers that take FOREVER.. DONT EVEN GET WOMEN STARTED ON THIS TOPIC! You go Jeanette!

• Jim H

UPDATE: I recently replaced the garbage disposal and now the dish washer drains every time! As far as its age, I've had it for 11 years so lucky it's still running.

• Gladys Rhoads

I put baking soda and vinegar down each drain every month or 6 weeks to keep the grease and lime from building up.

• Evelyn McMullen

hmmm, thanks to all for comments; I quit using mine about 5 yrs ago for this very reason, will try some of the hints.

• 153091

this will sound "off the wall" but I shake a LEMONADE KOOLAID regular NOT unsweetened pack in my empty dishwasher and run the dishwasher.Comes out CLEAN...VERY CLEAN. P.S. Gladys does what I also do..vinegar & baking soda.

• Cheryl

Lisadoll, You are right! If Chuck and Sherry are hearing this often enough to gripe, they probably ought to wonder about the appliances, not the upset customers. And repairmen are probably doing well, unlike the old Maytag guy. When Sherry says "things change", did she mean get used to cheap, poorly made appliances? I don't think it's just "style", but that's part of it. In my youth, appliances were meant to last a LONG time and they did. Now it seems they are being made very cheaply; they are seem "disposable" with a life span of 8-10 years if you're lucky. My 29 yr old stove is still going strong - even the clock still works. But it will look horrible when I re-do my kitchen, so I want a new one. After reading reviews after reviews to determine the best to buy, I'm still stumped. People are having problems with all of them and really upset. Even the elite brands most of us can't afford are getting bad reviews. A lot of them are needing repair the first year. This seems to apply to appliances purchased within about the last 5 yrs or so. I simply can't find one with consistently decent reviews to know what to buy.