What can I do?

My neighbor is running water or it is her water in downspouts that are coming onto my property. I care because I have a retaining wall and I an not happy that it is wet and starting to deteriorate, the wall run along my drive way and is about 8 to 2\12 feet high, How do I tell her or should an attorney's letter be sent. The wall is holding back trees, and is very private. I am very concerned that the wall is going to cave in and take a lot of trees with it.
  8 answers
  • I would start with asking nicely to see if she can position - if that doesn't work you may wish to look Georgia law on that / consult an attorney knowledgeable about that arena
  • Wanda.ll Wanda.ll on Aug 31, 2015
    It is against the law in most states for someone to divert their water onto you. Do you have a homeowners POA if so contact them? If not call the county yo live in and talk to them and see what they can do.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 31, 2015
    I would contact your lawyer for the proper way to handle this. Good Luck
  • Mitzie Mitzie on Aug 31, 2015
    Your neighbor might not realize she is causing damage to your wall! If I were in your situation, I would take photos of the damage and go for a visit with a loaf of freshly baked bread and a bottle of wine. If you approach him/her kindly, you may be able to resolve this situation together AND gain a friend!
  • Kristine Kristine on Aug 31, 2015
    Your neighbor probably has no idea that his/her water is damaging to your property. But it would create an awkward living situation if you attacked with an attorney. Remember, you may need to live next door to him/her for a very long time and resentment makes for a terrible neighbor. I would approach him/her nicely, maybe bring over some fresh baked goodies as a gesture, and calmly make him/her aware of it first. There may be a simple and mutually agreeable solution. Don't contact an attorney until you've reached the point of "nice hasn't worked." Try first solving the problem together amicably.
    • Beverly Beverly on Sep 01, 2015
      @Kristine thanks, I am making sure that the issue will be solved without bringing an attorney in.
  • Josh Joslin Josh Joslin on Aug 31, 2015
    Before you befriend your neighbor, document with photos how the water from their home is damaging your property. Then proceed with the goodies and good faith visit. I am sure your neighbors are unaware of the situation.
  • White Oak Studio Designs White Oak Studio Designs on Aug 31, 2015
    I leaned from an unplanned high ground water flooding situation during 2009-2012 that there is surface water and there is ground water and they can run in entirely different directions. Does anyone else near you also have water issues? In addition to what the other have suggested above, I would call or speak to some of your other neighbors to determine if any of them have water on their property. If more than one person is experiencing water issues then it may be appropriate to call your city/township or county to not only alert them but to determine what can be done.
  • Moxie Moxie on Mar 04, 2016
    Most places all are responsible to keep water drain off on their property....that being said...you could look into digging in a corrigated foundation drainage pipe next to you wall so tbe water will drain through the pipe and you can redirect the water to a different location. You could also apply a spray or roll on clear masonry sealer to the offending side of the wall so water sheds before it sinks into the block...tbe two combined would protect your wall
Your comment...