Farmhouse Table and Dining Room Makeover

$150

Over the last few months, we've been slowly but surely updating our old wallpapered & white carpeted dining room to fit our style, and I think we're finally almost there! Here's a picture of the room the day we moved into the house. We loved the space and windows, but the rest had seen better days.
We knew the look we were going for, but didn't have any furniture big enough to fill out the room. After some searching online we decided to build a huge 8 person farmhouse table, which all in cost just under $150! We used plans from Shanty-2-Chic and modified them slightly by making the table wider, planing the top planks of wood with a handheld planer, and putting the table together using lag bolts to add an industrial touch.
We first assembled the top using pocket holes.
Then sanded everything down nice and smooth. This process took quite some time, but is completely worth it to get a nice even table top!
Next we put together the base according to the plans but using our lag bolts. Pre drilling the hole made this step go by surprisingly quick!
We put the whole thing together, stained it with Minwax's Special Walnut, added several coats of semi-gloss polyurethane, and moved it (slowly- she's a heavy one!) into the room.
Here's a peek at what the dining room is looking like today!
We also added shiplap to the bottom of the walls, and painted the rest in Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy. The floors got replaced with a dark bamboo, we added an easy DIY floating shelf to the wall, and a new light fixture to top it all off.
There's always more decorating to do, but I'm so happy about where this room is headed!

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Sypsie Designs

• Eroque022810

Did you have a plan before you started or did it just develop as you went along. I wish I could get into all of your heads so I can learn more. So far I had dining room painted and had baton board added but it just developed and the living room as well. All I knew was the paint color. But now I'm just stuck. So do you plan each room as you go along or do you just jump in with both feet and see what you come up with?
    • Diane Moore Clemens

Best to have some what of a plan. Although Country style is very forgiving. Best of luck.. I am going to try the table

• Ana

Do you have the plans for the table like what to buy and sizes

• Hal9990535

I love what you have done and would like to know where I could buy the chandelier. Is it from Wayfair?

• Val eagles

This room looks amazing now! I want this! And I love that there are no vertical supports in the middle of table to block chairs and bang knees. I want to have bench seat on one side for kids and flexibilityn. Great job!

• Linda

Uh....wow. I'm usually pretty articulate but that's all I have.