Katie Lloyd Mansfield
Katie Lloyd Mansfield
  • Fort Worth, TX

Headboard From A Crib Rail

We cleaned out the attic a few months ago. Our old crib was a drop side model and had a dated finish. I knew that should we have grandkids, I wouldn't feel safe putting them in this crib. I wanted to repurpose as many of the pieces as I could rather than have them languish in the attic.
headboard from a crib rail, bedroom ideas, repurposing upcycling
I went to Pinterest for inspiration and came across a headboard tutorial using newel posts in a bed. After measuring, I knew that the two newel posts plus a side rail would be the exact width of a full size headboard.
Crib Before:
Crib Before:
After:
After:
I painted everything and then joined the side rail to the posts using dowels. I clamped it and let the glue set for 24 hours.
The posts came from Lowes and were only $36.00. They were already sanded and ready to prime and paint. The style of the rungs matches the style of the newel posts.
I'm thrilled. This was affordable and it didn't required much skill.
I love the white. It's been fun styling this bed for summer and now for fall.
We still have the other side rail in the garage. I could easily make another one of these for one of the kids or add a footboard to this bed. Please follow the link to my blog post for more pictures. While you are there, have a look around at my other projects.
Katie Lloyd Mansfield

• Bobbi Convery

Good idea!

• Joanie

I don't know if this is YOUR babies crib, but it sure is a nice heirloom...... , whatever, it made a beautiful headboard!!