Front Porch Ideas
Front Porch Ideas
  • Hermitage, TN

DIY Stained Glass Stepping Stone

If you're looking for a unique and thoughtful gift, an easy-to-make stepping stone could be just the thing you are looking for! It is a gift from the heart AND you can personalize it with mementos. Our example was made for a dear friend of ours and we included mementos that mean a lot to her: she loves horses, she and her husband loved boating. We included their initials and a sparkly heart.
You might
diy stained glass stepping stone, concrete masonry, crafts
You may want to take a little time to gather the mementos and pretty stones or glass to make your stained glass stepping stone - much of it can be household items you already have. We started with a package of stained glass pieces and our plastic mold. You'll also need a bag of concrete mix and a couple other things which you can find listed on our site.
Before diving in with mixing the concrete and all, it's good to first layout the pattern you want. It does not have to be exact but it will help to have a visual idea of how you want everything to look on the stone.
Once you have the mold filled with concrete, make sure it is setting on a level surface before you start placing anything in it. If you see water collect at the top, carefully pour some of it off, then level the concrete again. We did not wait long before we started to place the larger mementos.
After the largest mementos pieces were placed in the wet concrete mix, we started adding the mosaic stained glass pieces around them.
Place your stepping stone on a table or other flat surface to dry for 24 hours. The drying time is important. Don't cheat and take it out of the mold sooner. You don't want it to crack.
Then it's time to gift your creation! How easy was that?
Make sure to get all our tips, plus see a step-by-step video at the url below:
Front Porch Ideas

• Nikki

Did you put a sealer on top of it
    • Front Porch Ideas

No, we did not put any sealer on it. And still several years later, the stone looks about as good as new. Thanks for visiting this article of ours.

• Hannah V

Awesome!

• V Valencia

When my girls were little I bought a kit to make stepping stones. My uncle helped my girls do these. He later took it to the next level by making a whole slew of these that I still have in my yard. He added all sorts of things..Keys, china pieces, old toys, old watch faces and the funniest one had an old cell phone in it.