Screen Porch Renovation

$600
2 Weeks

My friend Leslie asked my husband if he would have a look at a hole in her screen porch roof to see if he might be able to patch it up for. It only took one look for him to recommend she tear the entire thing down before it fell on her head!
Screen Porch Exterior Before
Screen Porch Exterior Before
Because he likes to build things (and he was concerned for her safety) he offered to do the job for her. He had a good look underneath and determined that except for a few floor boards, the actual deck structure was very sound and could be saved and he and my brother set to work tearing down the structure. It came down in no time with little effort!
Demo almost done!
Demo almost done!
They then took to rebuilding, beefing up the supports underneath to be on the safe side. He used 2 x 6 for the ceiling joists and 2 x4 for the wall studs. He enlarged the screen window size creating a better view when looking out into the yard from the outside.
screen porch renovation, decks, outdoor living, porches
A board and batten treatment on the exterior walls ensure no cracks for bugs or other critters to get through. And, it looks so pretty!
Once construction was done I was eager to get the inside back to order. I painted the entire interior white, including the siding on the house inside the screen room that used to be beige.
Interior Before
Interior Before
Interior after - before batten
Interior after - before batten
Leslie now has a safe and comfortable screen porch to enjoy. It has an up-north cabin feel to it, and I am sure it will be enjoyed by family and friends for many years to come.
You can see many more photos at redcottagechronicles.com, but here is a look at the interior after.
We still have a little work to do on the outside. A second coat of stain and some landscaping and then it will be ready for its' debut on the blog, but with the weather being incredibly uncooperative that will have to wait.

Red Cottage Chronicles