Jamie
Jamie
  • Brockway, PA

Create a Distressed Farmhouse Style Shelf for Your Kitchen

This shelf had been used by my grandfather in his workshop. After being stored unused in a garage for many years, it was very dirty and dated. There were holes in weird places where it had been attached to the wall. And the screws were rusted in place keeping me from tearing the shelf apart to sand it. But working with what I had, I was able to transform this beat up shelf into a perfect place to store decorative items for my mom's kitchen.
create a distressed farmhouse style shelf for your kitchen, kitchen design, shelving ideas, wall decor
I love how distressed the painted portion of this shelf is in contrast to the bare wood.
It is hard to tell from this picture just how bad the shelf was. It was pretty dirty and beat up, though!
The kitchen is very white and gray, so painting the whole shelf would have made it blend into the wall.
I used Fusion Mineral Paint for white portion, and their Tough Coat Sealer for the wood portion. It works like a polyurethane, but will not yellow and leaves a lovely sheen to your wood.
To finish everything off, I filled the shelf with some simple and vintage kitchen finds.
Jamie