Asked on Sep 1, 2015

I need ideas for refinishing these vintage bunk beds

Cur50202998HeatherLD
+7

These bunk beds were mine when I was a child and I would like to put them up for the grandkids when they visit. They need refinished or painted. They will be in a bedroom with other 'OLD' furniture that I don't want to paint - I like the wood finish. Yes I know the trend is distressed and chalk painted everything now. Without painting all the furniture can I make it work together if I do distress/paint these bunk beds? And what color do you think might work? The room is pale yellow, but I can certainly change that in a flash.
These are the headboards & foot boards for the bunks.
The other bed that is in the room
The dresser in the room
  • Tracy Hudson
    Tracy Hudson

I would try and stain them close to the other wood in the room, but please don't paint...tie everything together with linens, pillows.

• Z
    Z

I'm with Tracy. Anyone can paint and distress furniture, which lessens the value. Refinishing your childhood bunk beds would be my choice too.

Janet Pizaro

Personally I would not paint the furniture.I would choose a color that wood blend with the other furniture and stain the piece. As for the wall color pale yellow is very pass. Try researching the new color schemes available the colors are amazing and will give the room a whole new look.

• Barbara
    Barbara

I wouldn't do anything to them.What you have is mid-century, 50 years old or better. Furniture in original, if distressed, condition retains value. I'd give them a good polish with bee's wax or another high quality furniture wax and tie the room together with bedding, curtains, other small decorative items. I like the pale yellow in your room, soft but has charm. If you must refinish, I'd go with a deep mahogany stain similar to the dresser you have in one of the photos.

• Mary T
    Mary T

I am with them. Don't paint.

• Joan White
    Joan White

Don't change those precious memories.

• Connie
    Connie

DON'T PAINT!!!! THEY are beautiful!

• LD
    LD

When you have different periods of furniture and color of furniture, it is called eclectic, which you could do, but the wall color needs to be updated to be more conducive for either gender. Now, you could use Minwax polyshade on the bunk beds in order to match them with the existing wood pieces, but the wall cover needs to be updated. I would change to a neutral color that would allow you to change the look of the room with accessories or bed linens. Take a close up pick of the carpet and head off to the paint store. If you have a Sherwin Williams close to you, I would go there for they have a light box with enables you to see how the color will look in the type of lighting you have in the room, whether it is natural daylight or artificial light. Classic white trim and ceiling never goes out of style, so you will not have to paint the trim.

• Heather
    Heather

Add some bead board to the ends Curtains to the bottom bed see Pinterest

• Cur50202998
    Cur50202998

Would you consider selling them to me? I have been refinishing furniture for many years. I call myself a “wood alcoholic.” I absolutely love wood,

especially solid oak.

If I were you, I would NOT part with them because you have so much semantical feelings for the furniture. Your grand kids may not appreciate them right now but they will eventually— when they grow up!

So....... they look in great shape. Please don’t paint them!!!! Painting solid wood furniture will go out of fashion soon. It is VERY hard to get paint off of wood. I usually don’t.

First of all dust the furniture off with damp cotton cloth— not wet, just damp. (Wood doesn’t like water.). Then let it sit for a day or two to get absolutely dry. I would use Formby’s furniture CLEANER (or comparable product) applied with a cotton cloth. I love the stuff.

That’s all you need to do. The furniture will look great!