Asked on Sep 2, 2015

Weights for outdoor drapes

Jane BeauchaneJoyBarb
+34

I have made some drapery for our deck since we face west. The material is canvas drop cloth, so it is light enough, that when the wind blows, it just billows! Any ideas for "decorative" weights that I can put on the outside bottom hem without having to totally re-hem both drapes do put them on the inside?
  • Donna Makowski

How about adding several large washers to the bottom edge in a decorative manner. To look like a series of OOOOO?

• Bobby

You might try weights used for fishing - there is a large selection - some could be decorative.

• Beach girl

I tried that, but mine were close to my patio door, and whenever there was a gust they would slap against the glass door. Ugh! Had to remove them.
  • Susann Schlander Vinson

Colorful clips, some have magnets which make them heavy. The clips that keep the picnic tablecloth in place. Depends on how close to the ground curtains hang

• CAROLYN CURTIS

undo the hem at both sides at the bottom and put a curtain rod threw it and then put the ends back on the rod...Mine has knobs that tread on..decorative rods

• Debbie

A friend threaded a heavy chain through the bottom hem. Just open up the hem on one side, slip the chain in and whip stich the end closed. The chain pools nicely when curtain is gathered at the post and hangs nicely when the curtain is pulled closed.

• Joy

This is a great idea. We get a strong west wind and sometimes the drapes will blow so hard that they knock over the patio furniture. One time, they were almost straight out along the ceiling.

• Donna Makowski

actually I was thinking of large round flat washers.

• Swan Road Designs

Since it's outside, why not use Donna Makowski's suggestion and use weatherproof/outside clear silicone and glue sea shells onto the large washers.

• Lisa

I like the chain idea. Another idea is to sew large pebble-style rocks along the bottom at 2-4 inch intervals. Or marbles, seashells, etc. Possibilities are endless!

• Deborah Sanders

We pulled heavy chain through the bottom. Works awesome.

q weights for outdoor drapes, window treatments, Privacy still billows but we put bungys for extra windy days
    • Brenda O

What type of chain (size, weight, etc) did you use? I would like to be able to pull the curtains to one side whenever they are not being used. We only need them for the afternoon sun. Thank you.
  • Suzanne Lee

Some company actually makes a fabricators with weights inside just for weighing down drapes. Should be able to hooking safety pin to the end and pull through the hem.

• Suzanne Lee

Fabric sleeve

• Darlene dynka

I saw where a pipe was put through the hem

• Hope Williams

You can always add ordinary washers. You can tac sew, E6000 glue or cut opening and slide them in the hem. If you put on the outside, you can paint them first.

• Denise McLeod

Or just use stainless steel washers....they don't rust ;)

• Marci

You can sew heavy fishing weight in the hem

• June Lovell- Paul

Glue on pennies

• Karen Sheilds

I saw a different post where they added grommets to the bottom hem then threaded cords through the grommets which they then staked directly to the ground. It's not a permanent solution so you still have the option of moving the drapes when you want to, or bringing the drapes inside during the winter months. I can see that your drapes are actually over the deck not the ground so perhaps you could screw a few low profile eye-bolts into the deck to tread the cords through to secure the drapes instead staking.

• Gail

Looks like you have enough room in the hem to add a couple fatter dowel rods, just thread them thru the hem.

• Suzan

So many options. Have not read previous, apologies for redundancy. Length or extended of fabric. Rebar, quarter round, bamboo, etc. Fun project.

• Marianne

Can you string some washers on a length of fishing line and then thread it through the bottom hem allowance?

• Jill

I ran some chain through the bottom hem. It works fairly well.

• CK

@Jill Me too! I used left over chain from a light fixture.

• Sheila Gauvin

If you are looking for quick and easy, what about using those cute little weights for putting on the bottom of a tablecloth to stop them from blowing up? They come in a wide variety of designs, colors and prices and usually just clip on. And they are sold almost every where---Michaels, WalMart, Dollar Store, and most hardware stores.

• Z

I love the idea of running chain through the hem. What about attaching some clear with white cord Christmas lights to the chain before doing so for a little bit of light at night?

• Kris

How about using a beaded ribbon from a fabric store. You could sew or glue it on. It would be decorative, too.

• Laurie

I have used round button magnets for this very thing. I get them at the hardware store... one magnet on each side down at the hem. Use as many as you need for the weight of your curtains.

• Janet

Fishing weights, pennies, pebbles.

• Kat2099649

You just open the bottom and thread chain in the bottom like you do a wast band then close the ends

• Barb

Depending if you don't need to walking through that area try running medal wire and eye hooks at each end, or wooden dowl, if all else fails try the chains they will cut the length at and hardware store for you
  • Joy

We get a very strong west wind that will cause the drapes to knock over the patio furniture and blow straight into the porch. There’s been some really great ideas, but some would be ineffective against the wind.

I really like the idea of strong chain!