Amanda @ Our Storied Home
Amanda @ Our Storied Home
  • Georgetown, KY

Upcycled Pumpkin Lanterns

Builder-basic hanging lights are a thrift and yard sale staple. I snagged one for $5 with a project in mind using the "guts" of the light but then found a cool way to use the glass fixture, too!
I used glass frost paint to tint the fixture orange then added some funky junk like an old door knob for a stem and some keys. Using the existing opening at the bottom of the fixture, I can insert a battery-operated pillar candle to create a soft glow.
Here's how to make your own:
upcycled pumpkin lanterns, crafts, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
You will need:
-An old light fixture with the lighting elements removed
-Martha Stewart Frost Glass Paint in Maze
-Sponge brush
-Old doorknob, rope or something for a stem
If you haven't already, clean the fixture. Apply the paint directly to the glass, building on each previous coat until you have the desired color. I used the existing holes on the top of the fixture to add the doorknob. This project is super easy and took less than 30 minutes to complete!
Amanda @ Our Storied Home