#WestElmKnockoffs Perforated Globe Pendant Light

$25

A few years back I made a pendant lamp inspired by a pricy West Elm light. I bet you can't guess what I used to make it!
westelmknockoffs perforated globe pendant light, diy, home decor, lighting, repurposing upcycling
This beautiful pendant light had very humble beginnings!
I started with two cheap plastic bowls from the grocery store. I glued them together with super glue and used duct tape to create the pattern.
I used the guide attachment on my Dremel to make sure I wasn't drilling the holes too large.
Next I spent a few hours with my Dremel, drilling dozens of holes inside of the pattern I created with the duct tape.
I cut out a hole that was big enough for my IKEA pendant light kit at the top of the shade.
I also cut out a larger hole at the bottom of the shade so that more light could escape the bottom.
Finally I coated the whole shade in spray paint that coordinated with our home's color palette.
All that was left to do was to add the light kit and hang it up!
Not bad, if I do say so myself!

Jessica Hill

• Consuelo Thompson

Do u have any projects that teenagers could do

• Edie

This same type of look can be done with nailing into tin vs. drilling with a dremel. I’ve made votive candle holders with kids as young as 6 yrs and none of them hurt themselves or others.

protect your surfaces. Ideally have the kids hammer into a piece of wood, old cutting board etc. Get 2-3” nails - not super thin.

Cut aluminum flashing (hardware store has for roof repairs and ductwork). Comes in strips or rolls. Can cut with kitchen scissors (not great for scissors) or tin snips. BEND OVER SHARP EDGES WITH PLIERS BEFORE GIVING TO LITTLE KIDS. Use hole punch (or big nail holes) to make holes for brass brads (stationery dept of drug store etc). Hammer design (mark with pencil or washable marker if you like). Using light hammer or mallet is easier for kids (miss your fingers- hit the nail). Leave 1/2” at each end and make holes every 3 or 4” (one close to top and another to bottom and as many as needed in between to make 3-4” spacing). Roll into a tube (sharp points inside) and stick brads through and open on inside to fasten. Place on heatproof plate and use as candleholder or could use as lamp as shown in this tip. Warning: galvanized aluminum is not great at taking paint - i havent tried.

• Joanie

Was it hard removing the handles? I think I would keep them....I'm gonna make one for sure!! Thank you.....I'll find the correct glue. I can't believe hot glue would work.

• Crazyliblady
      28 minutes ago

I think Joanie is referring to the fact the caption on the photo in the article listing 15 different projects said that the project used strainers. They even look like strainers, so I think it was a simple mistake.

• Barbara

Could you use strainers?

• Crazyliblady
      30 minutes ago

I don't see why you couldn't, but it would probably not have the same pattern of holes.