DIY Pallet Deck Island

$40.00
1 Day

What can you do with a few tiles, pallets and paint? A do it yourself deck island! It's sturdy, inexpensive and great for entertaining on your deck.
First - pry apart the boards and form a frame for your island with two by fours for a solid frame. Spray paint and glue on tiles on top to add functionality and make your island a thing of beauty!
It doesn't have to be perfect. You can decide the dimensions and how it looks. That's the nice part about DIY. There are no rules, just create what works for you. We didn't have plans, my DH just made it up as he went along.
We did all of this in an afternoon. It looks great on the deck and works great for cookouts.
He asked our DD how big she wanted it, sized up his materials and got busy measuring and nailing until he had a frame. He built it very solid - so solid we had trouble getting it up the stairs to the deck!
We spray painted it with Rustoleum dk. brown and wanted a more finished and weather resistent top surface, so after it was assembled and painted we went to Lowes to find something. We found ceramic tiles on clearance that were the perfect size.
We just glued it on and trimmed around the tiles with slimly cut strips of wood because we couldn't find the right size quarter rounds.
It was much easier than I expected - glue place, trim.
This was put together by an experienced framer (My DH) with the help of a newbie (My SIL). It was a good learning experience for our SIL and our daughter was thrilled with the outcome.
This cost under $40 to make. DIY is the way to go! For more pictures and a better detailed description, click the link to my website below:

Val Frania {Love My DIY Home}

• Debra McMenamin

I’m sharing this with my husband! We’ve been talking about having something next to our grill. We want to be able to have some storage as well. We have been known to get some ferocious winds, is there a way of securing this on a deck without damaging the deck or railing?

• Deb Davis

Try some zip ties to you rails, this would also prevent a child from pulling it over.

• Dl.5660408

Very handsome! Did you just glue it down, or did you also fill and seal it?

• Tanya Loving

My only comment is that sometimes the edges of the tiles can be very sharp. I would either put a trim around the tile or use thinner supports and conceal the tile edges in the base. Otherwise, it's really pretty AND functional.

• Daisy@TX

Great job.