Need help with Removing hairspray off oak door??

+34
Any advice on removing hairspray build up off oak bathroom door and linoleum floor??
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Sep 04, 2015
    I have sprayed rubbing alcohol on bathroom surfaces in the past and it worked really well. Just don't leave it on too long. Always test in an inconspicuous area 1st. Here are some other suggestions: http://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Hairspray-Off-Bathroom-Surfaces.html http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-hairspray-from-vinyl-flooring/ http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-hairspray-from-a-varnished-wood-door/
  • Panhandlelil1 Panhandlelil1 on Sep 04, 2015
    I use spray bathroom cleaner in the can.. Just spray it on. Let sit for a couple minutes and wipe off. I have very good luck with this. I use lots of hairspray and it gets on everything, especially door and floor. .
  • Dawn Martellini Dawn Martellini on Sep 04, 2015
    Plain old fashion Murphys soap and hot water
  • Karen Shores Karen Shores on Sep 04, 2015
    Murphy's oil soap or try vinegar mix with a small amount of oxiclean and hot water.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 04, 2015
    I would use vinegar and water the good old standby anything else could make it greasy.
  • Deborah Deborah on Sep 04, 2015
    If you can find Orange Mate natural room deodorizer spray, it contains orange oil and some alcohol and works great as a light solvent. Smells good too. If not try Goop Off, just don't leave it on for extended time.
  • Joy Joy on Sep 04, 2015
    I was able to remove hairspray with simple green and a grout spinning brush.
  • Patti Patti on Sep 05, 2015
    Dow Scrubbing Bubbles melts hairspray and literally rolls it off of ceramic tile, so it would probably work on other finishes too. If the door has a finish on it, it should be ok.
  • Nancy Lytkowski Nancy Lytkowski on Sep 05, 2015
    Buy yourself some SHIP SHAPE. You can purchase it in any SALLY BEAUTY SUPPLY. This is what we Hairdressers use to clean our combs, brushes, & chairs. Mix it with Hot water & pour in spray bottle!! Will not harm finish but takes all hairspray off!!
  • Adrian Adrian on Sep 05, 2015
    Denatured alcohol that you can find in a can at Lowes should work and it should be safe because it dries/evaporates very quickly. It's great to use on bathroom mirrors and car windshields to remove grease, grime and any type of build up. You could also use 70% alcohol that can be purchased at Walmart or Dollar General.
  • Melody Melody on Sep 05, 2015
    A clarifying shampoo should do the trick. It's made to get rid of hairspray.
    • See 1 previous
    • Susan Bechamp Susan Bechamp on Sep 05, 2015
      @Elaine Simmons & Melody. I agree. My mother used shampoo to wash the bathroom door for years. It cut through the layers of hairspray without dulling the varnish on the door.
  • Justme Justme on Sep 05, 2015
    I always just use soap and water. I bet your hairspray is better than my hairspray. hahaha
  • Cynthia Cynthia on Sep 05, 2015
    very hot soapy...such as dawn....water..any type mop...and terry type cloth....put on the floor mopping hard...wipe down the door with very a wet cloth...let set...then rinse both and repeat....hairspray is water soluble...
  • Margie Block Gundelach Margie Block Gundelach on Sep 05, 2015
    I had the same problem. Shampoo works and so does a mixture of baking soda and water.
  • Nancy Nancy on Sep 05, 2015
    Shampoo
  • Pete Sakes Pete Sakes on Sep 05, 2015
    A water/vinegar solution will work too.
  • Pat Pat on Sep 05, 2015
    Like mentioned shampoo....takes the hair spray out of your hair and will do the same for your oak doors. I have the same problem....hair spray on the doors and shampoo works for me.
  • Judie Tolan Judie Tolan on Sep 05, 2015
    I'd try a "clarifying shampoo". It's to strip your hair of hairspray, toners, all the goop we put on our hair.
  • Sheri Hepworth Sheri Hepworth on Sep 05, 2015
    I use a paste of baking soda and water. There is enough grit in the soda to gently removed hair spray.
  • Kim Kim on Sep 05, 2015
    The water/vinegar mixture is the best suggestion so far. It should clean it right off and you won't have to worry about the finish on your oak door.
  • Sharon Powless Sharon Powless on Sep 05, 2015
    We used alcohol in the beauty shop I worked in.
  • Merry Merry on Sep 05, 2015
    I had a Salon for many years and good old Pine-Sol worked the best. Mix in water and scub wood go back over as you go with a dry rag it takes hair spray off and disinfects floors too. 👍
  • Victoria Noble Victoria Noble on Sep 06, 2015
    coconut oil works great!
  • Nana moving on Nana moving on on Sep 06, 2015
    A product named "Awsome". you can get it at the dollar store {Dollar General, Dollar Tree, etc.} I bought some to see how it worked after trying to remove cigarette smoke stain in the house I bought. Spray it on and the stain just rolls off the doors and window frames. Ans it's only $1.00.
  • Doris E Slager Doris E Slager on Sep 06, 2015
    Baby shampoo.
  • Cwa315797 Cwa315797 on Sep 06, 2015
    Shampoo will work. After all, it removes hair spray from our hair and scalp.
  • Cwa315797 Cwa315797 on Sep 06, 2015
    Use any shampoo. After all, it removes hair spray from our hair and scalp.
  • Cwa315797 Cwa315797 on Sep 06, 2015
  • Sharon Powless Sharon Powless on Sep 06, 2015
    I would not use baking soda on oak. If you don't get every single bit out you have white streaks. I have seen it happen.
  • Bartlett2220 Bartlett2220 on Sep 07, 2015
    I would use Quick n Brite. It also gets out grass stains and blood stains. It is amazing. You can get it online
  • Dianne Cizek Dianne Cizek on Sep 07, 2015
    I use the Swiffer wet wipes. Just rub it several times over the floor and the hairspray will come off.
  • Terry Terry on Oct 18, 2019

Diluted vinegar water

• Vicky Transue Vicky Transue on Oct 18, 2019

Warm water on a microfiber rag always did it for me. Maybe spray with a multi-surface cleaner that won't harm paint or varnish before wiping?