$10 Drop Cloth Curtains

One of the greatest parts of our home is our amazing front porch. I always dreamt of having a large opening porch space to relax and unwind and I'm so blessed to have created that space in our current home. Yet, each day between around 4 o'clock in the afternoon the sun becomes so intense that it makes it difficult to sit out there. I didn't have the budget for large custom roll shades and it didn't want
10 drop cloth curtains, curb appeal, diy, how to, outdoor living, reupholster, window treatments
I bought four 6'x9' drop cloths and all the necessary mounting hardware. While I was at the store, I couldn't resist buying two outdoor fans which I'd been wanting for sometime. We had the porch pre-wired for future fans but just never got around to it. I found these lovely little fans for $35/each at Home Depot.
So - let's take a look at what I used to get this project completed...(laborer husband not included :-)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED...
#1 - You need to purchase one drop cloth per end of your curtain rod. I needed four in total and the 6'x9' length was perfect for me. Each cloth was about $10
#2 - Next I purchased support brackets to hold up the copper piping that I used to create a custom and unique looking rod.
#3 - To make hanging these outdoor curtains a cinch I bought clip rings in an aged bronze finish. I'm thinking these will also come in handy if I ever need to wash the drop cloths. But heck, for the price, I would probably just go buy a new drop cloth.
#4 - I purchased two 10' sections of 3/4" copper pipe. This became my custom curtain rod and ended up being the exact size I needed for my space. You could always find longer pieces if need be and a lot of stores will even trim up the pipe for you if needed.
A closer look at the fan and copper rod. Trust me - this was a great project to take on when you aren't looking for hard work, just major impact.
THE RESULT...
I just love how these turned out! It was a really easy project and it adds quite a bit of curb appeal !
Hope you enjoyed the post --- thanks for stopping by! xo
The Unique Nest/Laura Leigh Designs

• Sally

How did you finish off the ends of th pipe, so it does not slide out of bracket? I dont see a finial and you would not have threads for that to fasten.

• Jan Forbes

You can use anything. If the pipes. Diameter is large enough antique door knobs would look nice. If you use a small pipe diameter you could pick up cabinet dor knobs or handles from local hardwear store.

I wouldn't use copper pipe for outdoor use as it turns green , pvc pipe is strong cheeper and can be spray painted any color.

• Alma B. Reed

Are the clip rings sturdy enough to hold the heavy canvas?

• Joan Stanley

When the rain blows do the drop cloths get soaked or do they repel the water well?

• Gnomegirl

I think this will give me a nice solution & more inexpensive to use drop cloths on my deck area next to my camper. The sun really needs to be blocked. I've been using vinyl tarps but the sun & wind cause me to replace them each summer. I used metal pipes & metal shower clips to hold the tarps. Thanks for the idea of using drop cloths . I could even paint a design on them.

• Stephanie T. Castle
    31 minutes ago

I found drop cloths blocked too much air flow or in a strong wind, if not weighted at the bottom, could be annoying. I find inexpensive fabric shower curtains. (Sometimes a little more or less than $10). I can fill the hem with weights to keep them neatly hanging even when open. Oh, and I can change from solid colors to pattern or even if lucky seasonal design.