$10 Drop Cloth Curtains

One of the greatest parts of our home is our amazing front porch. I always dreamt of having a large opening porch space to relax and unwind and I'm so blessed to have created that space in our current home. Yet, each day between around 4 o'clock in the afternoon the sun becomes so intense that it makes it difficult to sit out there. I didn't have the budget for large custom roll shades and it didn't want the maintenance or installation costs.
Then last week while visiting a dear friend of mine (whose countryside home sits on 10 acres with wide open views) I noticed something. She hung beautiful drapes around her porch, or so I thought. Turns out that they were just drop cloths. Traditionally used for painting, my friend used them as Pottery Barn style outdoor curtains. So of course, what did I do the very next morning ---- go and buy drop cloths of course!
I bought four 6'x9' drop cloths and all the necessary mounting hardware. While I was at the store, I couldn't resist buying two outdoor fans which I'd been wanting for sometime. We had the porch pre-wired for future fans but just never got around to it. I found these lovely little fans for $35/each at Home Depot.
So - let's take a look at what I used to get this project completed...(laborer husband not included :-)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED...
#1 - You need to purchase one drop cloth per end of your curtain rod. I needed four in total and the 6'x9' length was perfect for me. Each cloth was about $10
#2 - Next I purchased support brackets to hold up the copper piping that I used to create a custom and unique looking rod.
#3 - To make hanging these outdoor curtains a cinch I bought clip rings in an aged bronze finish. I'm thinking these will also come in handy if I ever need to wash the drop cloths. But heck, for the price, I would probably just go buy a new drop cloth.
#4 - I purchased two 10' sections of 3/4" copper pipe. This became my custom curtain rod and ended up being the exact size I needed for my space. You could always find longer pieces if need be and a lot of stores will even trim up the pipe for you if needed.
A closer look at the fan and copper rod. Trust me - this was a great project to take on when you aren't looking for hard work, just major impact.
THE RESULT...
I just love how these turned out! It was a really easy project and it adds quite a bit of curb appeal !
Hope you enjoyed the post --- thanks for stopping by! xo

The Unique Nest/Laura Leigh Designs

• Alma B. Reed

Are the clip rings sturdy enough to hold the heavy canvas?
  • Joan Stanley

When the rain blows do the drop cloths get soaked or do they repel the water well?
  • Ida9464

I’m so puzzled why there isn’t any photo of the curtains closed to minimize the sun. Although the porch is lovely and the curb appeal is nice, I can’t help but wonder why not show us the end result?

• Becky McCracken

The drop cloths will mildew badly if not treated and used outside. We have a lot of humidity and ain’t with the rain they ruined.

• Debra

I have always purchased canvas type curtains for our deck using a similar rod system. I buy the grommet type curtain and when found on clearance are just as affordable as the drop cloths and come in beautiful colors. They are washable after each season, stored away in our basement and last for approximately three seasons. Then you can buy new, switch up colors, or not and proceed. I have thought about using old shower curtains found at a thrift store? but have not done so yet.

• Judyjeff2

Yes