SimplyDesigning
SimplyDesigning
  • Indianapolis, IN

Build A Porch Swing

We recently got the crazy idea to tear out our porch bench and build a porch swing and today, I am going to show you how we did it. Oh and the best part is that I only needed to purchase (1) 24 for my swing, rope and a few pieces of hardware to make this work. That's because we were able to re-use the wood from our bench and our deck to create this beautiful porch swing! Isn't that the best!?
build a porch swing, diy, how to, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, woodworking projects
We all love porch swings and this one is a comfortable spot for reading a book or just enjoying a warm afternoon. Here's what we needed to make this happen.
Supplies:
Wood Boards
Cuts:
Frame Boards
(2) 2 x 6 x 60 bevel cut
(2) 2 x 6 x 20.75 bevel cut
Corner Posts
(2) 4 x 4 x 13.5
(2) 4 x 4 x 4
Seat Boards
(5) 2 x 4 x 57
Vertical Back Support
(3) 2 x 6 x 20
Horizontal Back Boards
(2) 2 x 6 x 60 (we used deck boards for this, but regular boards would work too)
Arm Rests
(2) 2 x 6 x 21.125 (we used deck boards for this, but regular boards would work too)
Cross Beams
(3) 2 x 4 x 17.75
Trim
(16) 1 x 2 x 4.5
37 Manila Natural Rope, 3/4 thick
(4) Eye Screws, 1/2 thick
(2) Eye Bolts, 1/2 thick
(2) Large Washers to go with eye bolts
(2) 3/8 Anchor Shackle
1 Box 2 1/2 Wood Screws (approximately 72 screws)
Deck Stain (Behr, Chocolate)
HomeRight FinishMax Fine Finish Sprayer
Drill & Driver
Kreg Jig
Nail Gun and 2 Brad Nails
Compound Miter Saw
Electric Sander
As I mentioned above, we were able to use the wood we tore out. Such a budget helper!
First we used the 2 x 6 frame boards to build the bottom frame with the 4 x 4 corner post in each corner. We used screws to attach the 2 x 6 directly into the 4 x 4 corner posts.
Next we assembled the set top using the remaining 2 x 4 pieces and screwed them into the cross beams.
We attached the three 2 x 6 vertical back support boards onto the frame with screws
We added the trim around the bottom of the 4 x 4 arm rest supports using a nail gun.
I simply filled my FinishMax with stain (no need to thin stain) and went to work staining my bench!
Now comes the final step! Simply run your rope through the eye screws in the bench and tie two knots to keep the bench in place. We tied the rope so that the swing tilted back ever so slightly and so that it was at a comfortable height.
For plans and detailed instructions - please visit my blog by clicking the link provided.
SimplyDesigning

• Mary

What keeps the swing from wanting to flip back with the rope support attached to the seat bottom rather than the arms?

• Melanie

I was wondering the same thing. Would also consider changing the rope due to weather rot. But I love the actual bench design.

• Bonnie

Great job! But being in the outdoor weather will rot the jute rope, so using a nylon rope would work better. Chain link would be best for sturdiness, it could be painted to dress it up a bit, or the jute woven into the chains for a natural look.

• Giselle

I want one!!! Gorgeous!