Blackout drop cloth curtains

+13
I'm trying to find tutorials about how to easily make blackout drop cloth curtains and haven't found any by typing in the search. I also want to know what size drop cloths and blackout fabric to buy for 84-90" curtains for windows that are 63" wide and 56" tall. Thanks for your help!
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 05, 2015
    Did you try pinterest?
  • Patti Patti on Sep 05, 2015
    I think I have and I guess I will have to again
  • Dee Dee on Sep 06, 2015
    If you want 84 inch length that would be a 7 foot drop cloth. You need to take your width and double it to get a full curtain. So the measurements would be approximately 10x7. Use a fabric store coupon or Hobby lobby and buy black out fabric the width of the curtain you are going to make. I usually just put an extra rod in the window and hem the black out fabric on one end. It is very durable and you can just cut it to fit. I make rods using electrical conduit which cost about $3. If you find the right size drop cloth you can use clips or hem the top over and use a rod. You could also buy grommets and do it that way.
    • See 2 previous
    • Patti Patti on Sep 07, 2015
      @Dee Great suggestions which I so appreciate! Never thought of tablecloths, tho I like the color and texture of dropcloth for this project. I will keep that in mind for other rooms :)
  • Dee Dee on Sep 06, 2015
    Try JoAnn's Fabric shop. They should have the information in their drapery department on how much blackout fabric you need and how to sew them. Once you know this you will find out how much drop cloth fabric you need. Try Harbor Freight for painters drop cloths, or some other painters supply store.
  • Z Z on Sep 06, 2015
    Patti, no need to go elsewhere, I'm a seamstress that specializes in sewing for the home. Window treatments are my specialty. I wrote a post awhile back about making simple lined curtain panels with the formula to help with any size you want to make. If you need any further help please let me know. http://www.hometalk.com/3393993/easy-diy-lined-curtain-panels
    • See 4 previous
    • Patti Patti on Sep 07, 2015
      @Z Ha Ha!
  • Teresa Price Bowen Teresa Price Bowen on Sep 06, 2015
    I very recently read an article on this site for drop cloth curtains for a large porch. All the same principles would apply, I'm sure. Try here: http://www.hometalk.com/9950171/10-drop-cloth-curtains
    • Patti Patti on Sep 07, 2015
      @Teresa Price Bowen Thanks for the link which I will check out!