Make Your Own Wood Crate

For a decorative touch on a shelf or to hang on the wall for light weight items, make your own crate from paint sticks. 35, 12" paint sticks, hemp and glue.
paint stick crates
paint stick crates
Saw 4 of the paint sticks in half to make 8, 6" sticks. Use these 6" sticks for the corners of your crate. Glue two 12" sticks to the corner pieces, one at the top and one at the bottom. Make sure everything is square.
make your own wood crate
Once the glue is dry, glue two more sticks in the empty space. Lay them all out side by side so you can be sure your pieces will match.
Lay pieces side by side so they will match
When the glue has thoroughly dried stand the pieces up and glue corners together making sure it's all square. Place tape around the outside to help keep it together while we build the bottom into it.
Glue corners together secure with tape
Glue corners together secure with tape
Lay three support slats 12" long along the inside edge of the bottom tier stick. These will only fit one way. Secure with glue.
Lay support pieces along the bottom tier
Add more glue to the top of these three pieces and begin laying in the bottom of the crate. This will help square it up. Be sure to fit the pieces in the corner snug. These won't lay on the bottom tier of your sides, they lay on the supports.
Add glue to support sticks and lay in bottom
This needs to dry completely, so make sure everything is square before leaving it to dry. After it's dry use the hemp and begin wrapping the corners. This is decorative but also necessary for added stability. Tie knots and add glue to the ends.
wrap corners with hemp, tie and glue the ends
Paint and decorate your crate any way you like. For myself, I used a very watered down acrylic craft paint and continued until I attained the coverage I wanted. Hang them on the wall in the bathroom for towels or bath cloths, in the kitchen for spices, or just use them to hold items on a shelf. They are great for organizing.
Stack them on top of each other
Stack them on top of each other
hang them on the wall
hang them on the wall
Screen wire sides for a centerpiece
Screen wire sides for a centerpiece
For other ideas and more in depth instructions please visit my blog. Thanks and enjoy! Get your paint sticks here.
Southern Sky Studio

• Rusted Angel

I made some storage boxes with the hard outside part of some old books and also used these paint sticks for the edges. I have painted the boxes I made from the books and the paint sticks but the sticks can be stained instead. I am also thinking about antique glazing these boxes. I cut the handle {rounded part off of these paint sticks} off before gluing them to the corners of my book boxes and am going to sand down the ends where I cut them. I am going to paint or stain these to be small wooden labels or to put under the metal finger pulls I am attaching to the middle of one side of the storage box.

• Was29877592

Thanks for sharing! I love this idea. My husband works at Loews Yeah!!! all the paint sticks and possibilities.