The Black Thumb Gardener
The Black Thumb Gardener
  • Pittsford, NY

Vermicompostin | Every Gardener Needs Worms

Personally I hated the days when I used to run off to one of the big box stores and pick up a couple bags of fertilizer. There's so much waste that comes from fertilizer production and the process uses up a large amount of petroleum. So rather than beating down mother nature with with a wooden stick I'd much rather cultivate some love (dear lord more puns). Rather than buying fertilizer I'm going to work on making more of my own and becoming much more self sufficient. So to accomplish this DIY composting I'm going to turn to vermicomposting and let my wiggly friends help me out.
vermicompostin every gardener needs worms, composting, gardening
The Black Thumb Gardener

• Marcia Reichert

Heck yeah it would work just fine. Maybe try a bin using a styrafoam cooler. I made one for my friend and it did great although she used wigglers too. I made a vent near the bottom front of the cooler by cutting out a hunk of foam about 3" x 4" and covered it with screen. Be sure to keep it moist by either wet scraps or adding a bit of water. I've heard of people keeping wormbeds in their homes for convenience but don't do that. Sometimes nats hang around. Be sure to turn your "dirt" from time to time.

• Vivian S

According to my county extension service, earthworms might work outdoors in a compost pile, but they likely won't survive in a container. Red wigglers are the way to go if you are doing container composting.