Bottom of Hutch Turned Sofa Table

I don't really remember where I picked up this piece. It's been sitting in my basement for a while now. It didn't have a top, it was filthy and totally not my style.
bottom of hutch turned sofa table fabflippincontest, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
For this month's I needed a piece for the theme of Geometric Design. I had no clue what or how I was going to incorporate that with this particular piece of furniture.
I went to work on removing the doors, cleaning & prepping it for it's makeover...whatever that might be. As I was cleaning inspiration struck. I had some new planks of wood that I could make a top for it....
I had run upstairs to our garage to grab the planks, and I looked up to see this amazing reclaimed wood door. I quickly grabbed my tape measure to see if it would work & oh my geez I wouldn't even need to make one cut!
I grabbed the door and went back downstairs to clean it up, lightly sand & give it a little love.
I painted the cabinet base with General Finishes our amazing sponsor for this month's contest. I had originally thought of using the Java Gel Stain for the planks, but that changed when I decided to use the door. This finished piece would be ending up in my living room, and so I choose the colors & design to fit with my decor.
The base was painted in Green Patina and the inside Barn Red. The design was hand painted with the barn red and the door was given a wash with the buttermilk.
The original hardware was left on the door, just given a little color. Once everything was dry I went over the entire piece with hemp oil and then a little dark wax for an aging effect.
It is now my long awaited sofa table. I built the red tray and the box to fit inside the base. I added the hardware to the box and used a little Modern Masters to create a patina effect (old/aged). The other side has a basket to hold all of our magazines.
It fits right into our home as if it has been here forever! We love it & love how is a perfect fit behind our couch...something I have been wanting for a long time!!!
To see more of the transformation, please visit my blog!!!

Lynn Fern