Turning Armoire into Desk/Office

+3
has anyone ever turned an Armoire into an Office with a pull our shelf that becomes the desk? I am an apartment dweller but, I do have a Dremel with a little saw, but not sure how to attached legs that would fold up and what kind of apparatus I need for the shelf to pull out and put back? Am I better off hiring someone to do this for me?

• Linda Hunt Linda Hunt on Dec 19, 2017
    The idea works beautifully. Use sliders to install the wood that becomes your work area so you have enough leg room and you can just pull the 'table' out as needed! Any hardware store has these.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 19, 2017
    People DO turn armoires into desks/offices, Ruth. There are scads of ideas here: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Armoires%20desk&rs=guide

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Dec 19, 2017
    You could also consider hinging the desk surface and that way it would just fold up into the cabinet when you are not using it. Hinge the legs as well, and it will all fit neatly inside when the doors are closed.

• See 1 previous
      There were no instructions, but if you have a screwdriver, I think you could put it together fairly simply. Just get a piece of board or whatever you want to use for the desktop area. Then, add a piano style hinge to one end of it and connect the other side of the hinge to the door of the armoire. Cut two pieces of board to use for the legs...make sure to measure the length you need by placing them under the desktop piece. Then, add a small hinge to each leg so it will fold underneath the desktop when you lift it. I think it should be pretty simple. For all the other aspects of the desk, just add white boards, bulletin boards, storage bins, etc as you need them to make it convenient for you! Have fun and post pics so we can see your progress!