Bathroom tile need help!!!

+6
im putting tile down in my bathroom. I’ve never done it before. How do I cut around the toilet? Will I need a certain saw? Thanks

• Brenda Brandt Deason Brenda Brandt Deason on Dec 04, 2017
    You can probably rent a tile saw from any home improvement store.

• Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 04, 2017
    If you're worried about removing the toilet and putting it back, you can make a paper template around the toilet and use that to cut your tile. While, this is not ideal, it will work. If you're using vinyl, not ceramic tile, you can warm the tile with a hair dryer and cut it with a utility knife. If you have some extra pieces of tile, I'd do a trial run first to get some experience. When using paper be sure you measure the distance between the last installed tile and the edge of the toilet to get the piece to fit properly. Just be sure you caulk the edge between the tile & the toilet when it's all finished.

• ISki2 ISki2 on Dec 04, 2017
    You do NOT want to cut tiles around the toilet. Instead you want to pull the toilet and tile under the toilet and only cut around the waste line. I would recommend watching some YouTube videos or doing a google search. Also, they make tile snips and tile drill bits.

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Dec 04, 2017
    If you mean ceramic tile. you could start at the toilet and make it the center of 4 tiles and only have to cut off corners or place so the pipe is center of regular square. It depends on your laying design and size of tiles. The first bathroom I did, I just used a standard glass cutter and scored and nipped off the bits and fitted real close around the pipes. The next time I purchased a hand tile cutter and it worked just fine. Tile is like glass, it wants to break in a fairly straight line. You can get nippers and break/chew the line into a small curve.

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Dec 04, 2017
    Another point, mostly you lift the toilet and extend the flange ring to set the toilet on top of the tiles. But in a pinch I did once only tiled around the toilet and pray I never had to remove it for service before we moved out.

• NancyMaria NancyMaria on Dec 04, 2017
    it is not going to show once the toilet is down anyway.

• Kay Kay on Dec 04, 2017
    To do a professional looking tile job you must lift (ie remove) the toilet and tile up to and around the drain pipe area. You should not tile around the base of a toilet, it will look strange and amateurish and it will make the toilet look short and squatty. And when the day comes that you need to change toilets, you're in big trouble. Because you'll never find another toilet with the exact same size and shape of the base of your old toilet. Plus it will be a hot mess to remove all the cut tiles around the toilet and replace them with matching whole tiles to fill in the area before you install the new toilet. As far as cutting the tile, please get a DIY tile installation book from Lowes or home depot, or the library has excellent books that will teach you how to lay tile. This is not something to attempt with no knowledge base. If you do, it will definitely show in the finished result and will not improve the value of your home. P.S. an electric tile saw only cuts straight lines. I've never seen a toilet with a square or rectangle shape! A Tile Nipper is the only tool that will make a curved cut in a tile. But this is a skill-set that is developed by experience only. There are truly no shortcuts to learn how to tile well. And cutting rounded areas from a tile take a lot of practice before you get it the correct shape and fit. Your floor may look better left alone than to do a bad tile job on it?