Edging ideas for bathroom counter top?

+11
HELP! I am going to replace my bathroom tile counter tops. I will remove tile and the plywood since I have an under mount sink and want to put in 2 vessel sinks. My question is what do I put on the edge of the counter top. I found edging strips at Lowes but they are 10.00 a ft and I need 23 feet. Way out of my budget. The faucets are satin nickle and so are the lights, I am going to replace the pulls and knobs in the satin nickle finish. Any ideas of an affordable idea?
q edging ideas for bathroom counter top
pic of old countertop, the tiles are in great shape but the grout has chipped off and the color of the tile clashes with the colonial blue paint I did the walls with
q edging ideas for bathroom counter top
This is the new tile I am going to use, the colors are blue,gray, white and the small pieces are a brushed silver. Also any ideas on the color of grout I should use?
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 23, 2017
    I would choose a grout color that goes with one of the tile colors, probably the light grey or the white. Do you have to have a curved edging? perhaps you could just use the same tile going over the edge instead, that would probably be much cheaper in the long run. Let us see some before and after pics. I bet the results of your changes will be dramatic with the new tile! Have a great Holiday Season!

• See 1 previous
      Yes, it makes sense. Perhaps you could get a piece of wood cut in the length you need for the over hang and make it big enough to put the rows of tiles you need for the length you want to have. You could see if you could find a piece of decorative wood molding that would transition the corner to where you could start the over hang, and perhaps paint it to match the grout and the level of shine you want. Just a thought that popped in my head that may work for you.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 23, 2017
    Is that glass tile? how about a brushed silver metal trim.... aluminum counter trim... https://eagle-aluminum.com/aluminum-countertop-edging-trim/ these guys are manufacturers so might be cheaper

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Dec 23, 2017
    Have you thought about edging with tin flashing? Can you wrap the tiles around the edge? I would grout in a grey colour.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 23, 2017
    For something this important I would take photos of the project to the home improvement store and asking their pros for advice. You want to see every possible option in every price range, and you don't want to make a mistake.

• Cathy Almon Cathy Almon on Dec 23, 2017
    Merry Christmas to all the hometalk buddies out there. You are a great bunch of people

• Patricia Fisher Patricia Fisher on Dec 23, 2017
    Cathy sounds like you have gotten some great suggestions and help. I never tried anything like that and am more like Sharon in CA. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with your new bathroom tile tops and great idea adding 2nd sink.

• Sid Sid on Dec 23, 2017
    Some tile companies produce a tile aprox. 4" x 1&1/2" with a beveled edge which you could either end at the counter edge or over hang the edge and install a cut tile to the vertical edge. Again some tile companies also produce a tile aprox. 4" x 1&1/2" without the beveled edge. This method of course means that there will be no raised surface at the counter edge to retain water however you could add a little extra grout at the edge to slightly raise the edge.

• Jaxs Jaxs on Dec 23, 2017
    I would grout with dark blue so you can't see the dirt as easy
    As for tiles always look for sales and discounts or tiles not making anymore. .great deals

• Margaret Green Margaret Green on Dec 24, 2017
    We have been in our house for 20 years. The bathroom has tile countertops with wood trim along the edges. The trim was sealed with whatever is on the cabinets. The trim is now water damaged and ugly. It needs to be replaced. Opt for non-wood.