How to fix up an ugly, tiny bathroom

+5
Hi, I'm new to the whole DIY thing, at least in regards to my home. We've been living in this small apartment for 10 years, and I really cannot stand our bathroom another moment. I would love some inexpensive ideas on how to fix up the shower floor, and just in general give more storage space, and make it less ugly. We have an almost 6 year old, which is why the tub is hanging above the toilet,as he hates having water come down over his head still.

q how to fix up an ugly tiny bathroom
q how to fix up an ugly tiny bathroom
q how to fix up an ugly tiny bathroom
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 04, 2017
    If this is a rental, then I guess you are stuck with the floor. Try scrubbing with brillo pads. You need some color to the room. A little rug. A picture. Something to organize your things.

• Meagan Palmer Meagan Palmer on Dec 04, 2017
      I was hoping to learn of some cheap ways to organize, what would work in such a small bathroom, especially with the pipes, and having to hang the tub from the wall.

This is not a rental. We own it, and hope to sell it in the next year, which is why we haven't done much with it. Actually, this room was worse, with a peeling celling, pipes along the bottom of the shower that were covered with peeling paint and mold. We also had hideous tiles taken out. But other than that, we've left it because, as I already mentioned, we hope to see it very soon so we haven't wanted to put too much more money into it.

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Dec 04, 2017
    Explain "hang the tub from the wall", please

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 04, 2017
    A colorful plastic basket to put the bottles on the window sill. Consider decanting into colorful bottles. Suction cup wire holder for the tile wall to hold the toys. I would consider hanging two shower curtains, to increase the fullness. Is there a towel bar?

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 04, 2017
    Start by putting in a new shower head they can be hand held, so you child can rinse themselves. Change the shower curtain and hooks. Take the stuff off the window sill, and get a shower caddy. Put something decorative o the toilet tank, and lay 12x12 tiles on the floor.

• Meryn Iggs Meryn Iggs on Dec 06, 2017
    I would get those walls and floor really completely clean including the lines between the tiles.
    Then I would find courful non slip tiles for the floor.
    Then add a coloured modern shower curtain.

For storage space a suction net on the tiled wall for the toys and a corner rack for shampoo soap etc in the shower area.
    Above the basin a cupboard with a mirror on the door

A towel rail with towels colour coordinated to the bathroom and matching bath mat.

• Sharon Sharon on Dec 06, 2017
    Is this in the US? This has to be the narrowest bath I've seen.
    It looks like the floor was terrazo, and has worn off. So at the very least, I would level with Quikrete and put an epoxy pebble coating over the floor or tile it with the tiny mosaic tiles. this one is 2-part epoxy pebble floor....
    this one is pebble tile sheets.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOWpmgAkPO8 where he just removed them from the backing
    I would then build a box around that pipe between toilet and sink, with shelving facing the sink.
    Get a nice Rain showerhead, and a hand-held for the child.