I need to update bathroom vanities ,replace ,use a marbling kit ?open

+19
I have 3 bathroom vanities need to replace or update some how ,ideas.?
q i need to update bathroom vanities replace use a marbling kit open
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 08, 2017
    Caryn, I'm not sure if you are asking for answers as to how you can change or revive your vanities, or are asking for answers on how to update the look of the whole bathroom once the vanities are replaced with new. From the picture, it looks as though this sink is quite badly stained and worn.......

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 08, 2017
    What do you need help with?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 08, 2017
    Bathroom would look better if the Toilet seat was down and you had a lighter coloured curtain.

• See 3 previous
    • 25842967 25842967 on Dec 08, 2017
      well, get busy and start training!!!  Lol

• Bijous Bijous on Dec 08, 2017
    1. Clean the hard water stain from the sink
    2. Replace the faucet
    3. Paint the cabinet and the one over the toilet
    4. Put long handles on cabinets for a modern look, or knobs for a more traditional look
    5. Paint the mirror frame - how about a metal look?
    6. Add new lighting and add new brighter light bulbs
    I like your curtain, how about painting the ceiling the color of the dark orange/red? And the walls a soft white with a beige base. With new lighting it will be a great look!

• Merrilee Morrison-Cotter Merrilee Morrison-Cotter on Dec 08, 2017
    If you keep the curtain, keep the cabinets are they are, and add maybe some coppery wallpaper around the mirror. Or do that copper penny trick that people on here have shown.

• Jodie Woods Jodie Woods on Dec 08, 2017
    If you’re like me you’ve already tried everything under the sun to clean that stain with no luck. Replacing isn’t cheap and using those epoxy paints are a bust. If your bathroom doesn’t have a window I suggest you stay away from dark colors but those cabinets could stand some new paint and hardware. For the counter and sink, I’d suggest a nice wood countertop with a thick layer of polyurethane or two and a bowl sink. Best wishes.

• Caryn Martin Caryn Martin on Dec 08, 2017
    Thank u for ur advice! The bathroom is tiny no windows, was really dark,we jus painted walls light gray and got new brighter lighting,trying to go with light colors ,plan is to replace or change color of sink and vanity

• Linda Linda on Dec 09, 2017
      Hi Caryn! if you're just wanting to make that antiquated sink and vanity look better, paint the vanity and stick a little lamp inside it. If yours is like my old one from the seventies, the sink/counters look like marble. I did some heavy scratching with very rough sandpaper, painted it (with a recommended paint from the hardware store) to look like marble, did the vein painting with a feather & used a heat gun to set it. I've had no problems but did almost no painting in the sink bowl and I'm careful with it and just wipe gently with liquid cleansers. I even kept a little light under the sink so it not only glows like marble but there's no longer a slightly musty odor on the towels I store under the sink. Hope this works for you or you find something that does because I know how expensive it is replacing it. Good luck!

Ty ! Was gonna do a light butcher block in kitchen sooo ur idea sounds perfect!

• Chere Chere on Dec 08, 2017
    you can certainly improve the look of the vanity with paint and hardware however , it doesn’t solve the issue with the top. You can spend more $$ trying to do quick fixes
    than to replace the top or vanity unity itself
    butcher block I’m not sure how well it will hold up to you water you’d need to treat it with a good urethane a marine grade but there again it’s not a typical material for a bathroom, however that’s your decision.
    To my eye the shower curtain should be lighter the pattern is overwhelming it stops the eye from moving thru the room.
    So think about how much $$ you want to spend a repaint would go pretty fast but I’d really be honest about the top ,replace it . Good luck ! Just lghten it all up!

• Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Dec 08, 2017
    You can buy a new piece of formica countertop cut to your measurement at Lowes or Home Depot. You can get the end pieces too. Visit the store and tell them what you want and have your measurements. They also have contractors to install it if you need that. You will also need a new sink - they come in all different price ranges, and faucets too. An update on the vanity top will make a major difference. Just paint the cabinet and get new pulls. You might want to install some shelves or pull out baskets while you are at it to maximize your space in there. Go with neutral colors, then you can change to any color with accessories like shower curtain, rugs, towels.

• Maureen McAteer Vasily Maureen McAteer Vasily on Dec 08, 2017
    Honestly, I would buy the kits from Home Depot/Lowes. They are fairly inexpensive and there are lots of videos to show you step by step directions. Google will come up with them easily.
    Using the blue tape to line the sink leaving about 1/8" and the sink should look like an undermount sink.

• Virginia Schafer Virginia Schafer on Dec 08, 2017
    Paint cabinets and mirror frame. Paint or replace cabinet top and sink (surplus salvage has tops with sinks in different colors for about $100) If you keep the walls the same color go for a deeper color for cabinets (light grey, with darker countertop (black?), For a pop of color choose a brighter shower curtain and accessories to match. Can be done for less than $150!

BTW I have used painting kits for countertop but it is only temp. as it does chip and scratch with time.

• See 1 previous
    • Virginia Schafer Virginia Schafer on Dec 09, 2017
      I know some of us learn the hard way. LOL. in any case I love my countertop insert from Surplus Warehouse and that solved the countertop and sink issue. I would recommend it. I got mine on sale for $100 and it came in multiple sizes and colors.

• Mim31910264 Mim31910264 on Dec 08, 2017
    Looks like our.Bathroom. We put new cabinet and vanity top a little smaller. White paint the cabinets white lighter shower curtain and Happy We are also putting new vinyl rug down you can even change wall hanging for new look.

• Lynda Lynda on Dec 08, 2017
    I just redid my bathroom recently. And to give it a much upscale and updated look I took a diaper changing table I got for $30 and turned it into my new vanity with a vessel sink on the top. The top is wood and I easily drilled my hole for my plumbing to go into and coated the top with a heavy waterproof polyurethane To protect it. So my suggestion is to measure your space then go looking for cheap furniture to make what you’d like. Your vessel sink doesn’t have to cost a lot there are tons of reasonable and bargain prices available. But my vanity is such a statement piece in my bathroom. I just love it. And the wooden embellishments I added myself to upscale it. My whole vanity including sink and faucet cost me only about $250 and I splurged on the vessel sink and faucet!! I hope I’ve inspired you to take the time and make your own. It’s so well worth it. I love my bathroom now!!! Just keep in mind your height will include the height of your new sink. But if there are legs they can easily be cut off to shorten your piece to height if necessary!

• Lea Swenson Lea Swenson on Dec 09, 2017
    Giani sells awesome kits for cabinets and countertops. I have used it many times and have loved all the results. You can get creative with the counertop paint and they came out with new colors for cabinets as well so a lot more choices. Look them up on FB for before/after pics and also check out their website. Unfortunately, the sink can not not painted with their paint. However, you could look into Rustoleum. I did a quick facelift with their tub and tile paint on a tub and shower walls. It has held up nicely until we do a gut job.