I want to replace all the sinks (3) and faucets in the bathrooms

I live in a 1991 Palm Harbor MFG Home, on it’s own land. I want to replace all the sinks (3) and faucets in the bathrooms, and the plumbing is a pvc-type with specially-tooled fittings. I have always worked with copper and done the “above-floor” plumbing myself. Can I purchase a tool and fittings, and install the new sinks/faucets? How do I find out if it’s PVC, or Wirsbo, or etc etc, and can I switch from whatever it is to a modern type of plumbing, such as Wirsbo or PEX, or Rehau?


  5 answers
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 03, 2017
    Look under your sink at the drain pipes. You will be able to tell if it is PVC pipe or another type. That is the most popular sold today. If you go into your crawl space, again look at the pipes. Even large drain pipes are made from PVC. Your plumbing is not antiquated. The pipes should have a stamp on them some place if it hasn't been cut off when being installed.

  • Kelly Kelly on Dec 03, 2017
    You should have shut offs under all your sinks, so that would be weird and potentially disastrous if they plumbed up to your sinks' faucet with that flexible Pex/ Wirsbo (the color of the flexible pipe will tell you what you have and what connections you can use). Some products and be transitioned with compression fittings, so you won't need a special tool. You can buy the crimping tool but some are more expensive than to just have a plumber put in the shut offs for you. Once those shut offs are in you can use normal supply lines up to your new faucets with every swap, and shut off your water at the sink when you need to do so.

    • Sta29350173 Sta29350173 on Dec 05, 2017
      Thank you Lukewatcher. I do have the shut-offs, and a short section of hose to the faucets. The valves are as old as the MFG Home, and I want to replace them. I am studying my setup and evaluating your kind answer.

  • Coniferguy Coniferguy on Dec 04, 2017
    The faucets should have supply lines with a shutoff valve. Look under the sink. As Lakewatcher said, you can tell by colors. My one suggestion though, is to use the Sharkbite line of plumbing accessories. They simply push on firmly and stay in place. Really, it is that simple. Available at HD. Not, if you have to run any lines , do use the tubing rated for domestic water.

  • Kelly Kelly on Dec 05, 2017
    That sort section of hose is usually a water "Supply Line" with threaded connections at both the shut off and the faucet ends. Depending on the age and condition of your shut offs, you may be able to just replace the rubber gasket in the shut off to restore their use, but if they are too corroded to shut off the water, they will need to be replaced. If you take a good picture of them and a measurement to a good hardware store they may be able to help you get a suitable replacement. You will need to shut off the water to the shut off (maybe the whole house) to replace the shut off (and the gasket/ washer inside) but you should, with your experience, be able to do it yourself. Good luck and have fun.

  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 05, 2017
    Remember some specialized fittings in mobile homes, you must go to a supplier that specializes in mobile home parts.