Old bathroom walls

+3
Old plaster walled bathroom covered with vinyl wallcovering now. Need some suggestions for the walls now. More vinyl covering? I will be doing it myself and my skill level is not up there so something simple and easy but will last and protect the walls.

• Gracie Gracie on Jan 01, 2018
    I would remove the vinyl and then wash the walls down and paint.

• Bijous Bijous on Jan 01, 2018
    Plaster walls can be a nightmare when removing wallpaper, especially if wheat paste was used. If the wallcovering is in good shape and no- to few edges are peeling, I suggest you paint. If there are some peeling edges, use Liquid Nails (it is a permanent glue, but it is sturdier than wallpaper paste which may not hold), wipe clean and flatten with a towel and hold it down with painter's tape making sure there's no glue where you put the tape. Let dry overnight. Once everything is tight to the wall, use a primer that adheres to plastic. Then use a paint of your choice. You will be able to see the seams, but only slightly. Good luck.

• JudyH JudyH on Jan 01, 2018
    Removing wallpaper is a labor intensive chore but it is the only way to go! DO NOT paint over it! After you have removed the paper be sure to wash the walls down several times to be sure all the WP paste has been removed before you paint or your paint will be blotchy. A good steamer is a lifesaver in a project like this.

• Barbara Barbara on Jan 01, 2018
    Install shiplap and paint.