Outdated and water damaged bathroom- Where should we start?

We live in a older mobile home, from the 70’s to be exact! Most of the home is in pretty good condition. Except the bathroom. It has water damage around the bathtub from the caulking peeling off and the floor is warped. We put a new toilet in but it leeks from a poor seal, so more water damage. It has a super outdated sink and a bathtub that I can’t take a bath in because it’s not deep enough, never mind the fact that it’s th color of overcooked peas. I’m afraid of what we’ll find if we start ripping everything out. But I would love a new bathroom. Where should we start?

• Ken Ken on Jul 09, 2018

Sounds like you have a big project there. You have to decide how much damage there is and whether you need to replace the tub and wooden structure or just replace the walls around the tub. I'm not a fan of this method, but you could just add a tub surround kit with adhesive over the rotted areas and caulk the seams.

• Franklinrawley Franklinrawley on Jul 09, 2018
    bathtub and the toilet leaks...right away I would have a professional take a look at the flooring and sub-flooring. replacing these is just a labor of love of getting these out and replacing them. The foundation is mandatory for a good revamping. get that done first then the rest is just labor.

• Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Jul 09, 2018
    Alinea, since the rest of your home is in pretty good condition, it might pay you to do a complete restore of the bathroom. Here are several videos to watch and make your decision of completely restoring or doing a partial redo for the time being. I hope this helps you.