What do I need to do here?

I just finished pulling down the wallpaper in one of the bathrooms in our new (to us) house.

In some places its pulled the drywall paper off. In others the mud is flaking off, in others there's a weird texture.

I've never dealt with this before... what do I need to do to get the walls ready to paint? Help!
q what do i need to do here
q what do i need to do here
Drywall paper gone.
q what do i need to do here
Weird texture.
  5 answers
  • C. D. Scallan C. D. Scallan on Apr 29, 2017
    If there are big gashes or dents, you're going to get mud from Home Depot or a hardware store and patch. Then just sand for a level surface .

  • Sharon Susa Courchesne Sharon Susa Courchesne on Apr 29, 2017
    My husband is a drywaller for a living so I showed him your question. He said first you must scrape off all the excess glue. Next, you must use primer paint over everything otherwise the new mud will not stick to the new drywall. Then you can patch the areas with mud (use sheet rock 90 because it is stronger). Once dry, then sand everything and do another coat of mud and sand again. Then you are ready to paint. Good luck to you!

  • William William on Apr 29, 2017
    Not a lot of work. Scrape off anything that is flaking. Wash off any glue residue with hot water and vinegar. Sand any rough areas and feather into the smooth parts. Lightly sand where the paper came off and feather that into the surrounding area. Use drywall patching compound for any dents or gouges. Sand smooth once dry. Prime with a good stain blocking primer then paint with you color.

  • Sharon Susa Courchesne Sharon Susa Courchesne on Apr 30, 2017
    Your welcome! Good luck with your project!

  • Heje Heje on Aug 23, 2018

    There is a mud product that is for walls that have patches of the paper removed or wall board. I haven't used it yet but hoping it will fill in where paneling has been removed.