This old chest of drawers was in horrible shape. The veneer had seen better days a long time ago. I first chiseled off the remaining veneer that was the worst on the top.
After removing the veneer and doing some repair and reinforcements, I began the painting process with two coats of off-white and then two coats of a teal color called "Florence" that is an Annie Sloan chalk paint.
After all the painting and distressing to the degree I was after, I started trying to tame the unruly 1965 Louisiana map that was used in a school. The map wanted to curl at every chance and was very brittle.
I used a lot of mod podge and thumbtacks at the edge of each area to keep the map from curling back up.
A few coats of poly finished off this big chest of drawers. I decided to use poly instead of waxes to give it more of a sheen and a little better protection in the long run.