If you read my post about repairing and reupholstering a couple of tall chairs, you'll know that I was on the lookout for a tall (pub) table. If you didn't see the chair post, you can find it here: https://www.hometalk.com/44339987/have-you-used-burlap-to-upholster-here-is-my-first-experience-with-it
A Quick Pub Table Refurbish
Now that I had two tall chairs, I needed to find a tall table. I started, as I usually do, online where they are referred to as 'pub' tables. There were several options that I liked: wood only, metal only, wood & metal. I settled on a wood/metal combo that was just around $100. Before buying it, though, I knew I'd be looking around for something less expensive. I headed to the Goodwill....To my surprise and delight, I found exactly what I was searching for; and it was only $24.99 before the 20% discount!
The table was stained with a dark finish, just like the chairs had been so I knew I could refinish it in the same way. As with the chairs, I didn't think I would need to use a stripper. Besides, it's messy! So, I decided to simply sand off the finish. For this process, I used my 5" orbital sander & a 220 grit sandpaper to remove the finish, and just like when I sanded the chairs, it worked beautifully!
I was excited to see that the sanded wood looked just like the wood on the chairs - bonus! Once the table had been sanded, I wiped it down with a soft cloth and then followed up with a tack cloth. Now it was time to seal the table for outdoor use. I usually use water-based Polyurethane for all my wood furniture but since I planned to use the table on the deck, I wanted to protect the wood as best I could.
I did some research to find the best product to use and found Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. It is an oil-based finish created for outdoor use. I didn't need much so I planned to buy a quart. Home Depot didn't carry the product and Lowes only had the Satin in a gallon size. Ah well, maybe I'd find other uses for it. I bought the gallon (*spoiler alert - I've already used it on two other projects this summer) and brought it home. Because it is oil-based, I also bought a couple of paintbrushes that I could toss if I wasn't able to get them clean after use.
The instructions on the can are to apply 2-3 light coats, allowing at least 4 hours of dry time, then doing a light sanding before applying the next coat. I followed the directions exactly, applying 3 coats and the finish on the table came out great!
Although this is Satin, it does have a bit of a sheen as opposed to being flat like the other brands of topcoat I have used. It also provides a warm, golden glow to the wood.
After I started sanding off the finish, I noticed that the tabletop was not real wood but a veneer over particleboard. Also, the corners had damage. That wasn't thrilling, but I figured since it was only $25 ish, I'd work with it. Once I finished sanding and sealing the table, I decided to protect the corners.
I found metal corner protectors on Amazon. I ordered 1.5" x 1.5" in a Bronze Tone, Pack of 24 for $7.99 What a deal! To install the metal corners, I used a small hammer and a pair of needle-nosed pliers. I needed the pliers to hold the nails because they are so tiny!
To my delight, the corner pieces fit perfectly and did the job I was looking for, they hid the damage on the table.
I have used this little table and chairs several times since I finished refurbishing the set. I found a darling little footstool at a garage sale for $5 and it is the perfect height to use with the chairs.
The project was much easier than I anticipated! Hubby and I are thrilled with how the table turned out! I am estimating the cost at $35 which is the amount of the table, paintbrushes & metal corners. I had all the tools and sealer on hand.