I haven’t had much time to do furniture projects lately, but I did squeeze in a couple of projects! This particular vanity was in storage for quite some time but FINALLY got around to working on it. If it looks familiar, I posted a tutorial showing y'all how I enhanced the details with wax I tinted with paint. You can view that tutorial here https://www.hometalk.com/diy/paint/wax-for-enhancing-details-44419136
Antique Vanity Refresh
Here is the picture that first caught my attention. What potential! Oddly, somebody had filled in a few places with wax? That was okay with me, though; it was something that could be fixed. So, my husband (my enabler) went with me to pick it up.
Somehow I missed photos of the base being prepped and painted. If you follow me, you know that is pretty normal for me. Anyway, I always sand my pieces. You only need to roughen up the surface if you will be painting, but if you want to stain an orbital sander is the way to go.
You may be wondering why I added an image of a dirty rag. This is why it is essential to clean your piece after any repairs or sanding are completed. This is from one swipe on the mirror frame. If not cleaned, your paint would not stick and spread debris all over. Taking the time to prep, a project properly is essential.
Here you can see one of the decorative pieces had to have some wood putty. After digging out the candle wax that some person had used as a "quick" fix, I could use wood putty and fix it properly.
I used Dixie Belle's new mineral paint, "Silk," for this project. If you aren't aware of this trick, keep your paintbrush in a Ziploc bag in your fridge between coats. This keeps the paint from drying on the bristles, and you don't waste paint by washing out the brush just to use again later.
I love it when you find stamps like this on original pieces. I always try to leave the original elements. This is stamped on the back of the mirror.
All painted, I cleaned the mirrors and put it back together.
Here is the base of the vanity. Here you can see how the wax is enhancing all those details.
And here she is completed and ready for a new home where it can be enjoyed for years to come.
I couldn't forget to add a picture of the top, which I was able to save and let some of that natural wood beauty shine. I stained and then sealed with Dixie Belle Gator Hide.