Last year we got the kids a mud kitchen. It was just wooden and we were silly enough to protect the wood with any varnish etc. The kids loved playing with it but the mud and rain etc wasted it. Plus I live on a family estate so multiple kids playing with it and not looking after it took its toll. So it ended up in a pretty sorry state. The door was ripped off, one of the hobs was off and it was covered in mud and sand. While this meant it was well played with, it was becoming an eye sore so I decided to do something about it
Mud Kitchen Upcycle
this was the finished product. I only used chalkboard paint, sand paper and some gorilla glue plus a screw driver and some screws to fix the door
This was the before. As you can see, it was in a terrible state. The door was off, right hob was off and it was covered in mud and spider webs etc
First job was to scrub it! It needed a proper clean. It had been a really warm day so luckily nothing on it was damp. So a good scrub with the dry brush got a lot of the sand and mud etc off it. I then used some soapy water with brush to clean off and stains
That made a bit of a difference but it was still in pretty bad shape. So it needed a good scrub down with some sandpaper
I just used some A4 sheets of sandpaper and got to work. I really wish I had an electric sander as it would’ve made this job a lot easier as this required a lot of elbow grease. But it was a nice sunny day so I just got on with it while the kids played in the garden
Once it was sanded I decided to paint the back with some chalk paint so they could write menus on it etc. Once I’d done the back part I actually really liked the black so ended up doing other bits with it too. I ended up not using masking tape (I took the photo of what I was using before I started) but if you have tricky areas, it would definitely come in handy.
To glue the hob back on I used gorilla wood glue. This stuff is amazing!! Just a good amount on the wood then push and hold it down Into position and that was it
That was all my areas painted with the chalk paint. It was just the door to put back on. I had some spare little screws in my tool box so that’s all it needed. I gave the wood not painted with the chalk paint a coat of clear wood varnish to protect it from the elements.
Finished off with the accessories (that I found all over the garden and cleaned up) Then some chalk to write all the different things on the back. I’m so pleased with it and so glad I did it. It’s now a pretty feature in the garden again and lots more fun to be had with it